Need help with my brilliant idea, please!!!

Chicken math has set in and I have now decided I need ALOT more space! We recently moved into our "dream house", on a half acre lot (almost unheard of in Southern California). There is a shed/playhouse I had an epiphany I could attach the coop to. My girls can watch their feathered sisters from inside the playhouse, while the north wall provides great structure and protection. The "wall" closest to me I plan on making solid wood with the nesting boxes protruding out, giving us access to the eggs. I also picture making the right wall built up with wood, to the first post, to protect from wind and rain. If course there will be hardware cloth from the top of the wall to a frame and door at the end of the playhouse... They need protection from hawk threats. They will have the perimeter of my garden to free range (with supervision ..

Now- I just need some better ideas or execution thoughts to help me explain to hubby how this will happen and not look totally cheesy! Please excuse all the trash and junk... The previous owners left that, and then some, when they moved!
1f621.png
The concrete block wall to the right in the pic is the 'north wall'?
Is that roofing slanted back towards the playhouse...or is that an optical illusion?

Does the playhouse have the same pitch?
Maybe you don't get enough rain in SoCa (so the song goes) to worry about water run off from roofs?

Soooo...we had our first "El Niño" rain, that lasted three days. The entire area pictures here, which will be where the chickens are, totally flooded. We need some ideas for raising their coop and run... We still have yet to start it. I'm thinking bricks or blocks stacked like a raised bed and filling it with gravel, putting down a linoleum covered floor on top. Along the exposed wall connect greenhouse "glass" the length of the enclosed coop for rain protection...just not sure how we'd run that drainage. Help!

Back
Top Bottom