Need help with my chickens and chicks

Leanne14

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Me and my friend got a couple of chickens. Everytime we go to pick them up, change their bedding they start going crazy. Then we got a two baby chicks. What should we do about the chickens? And what should we do to get the baby chicks to get use to us?

Last edited:
Quote:
Only thing you can do to get them used to you is be gentle. dont scare them too much. as they get older most grow out of it when they notice. Humans mean food. but of course. if you scare them alot as older. they will never get used to you again unless you really work with them. as they age. try to pick them up about once a day. pet them etc.

It takes time to get chickens used to us humans . The full grown ones you can bribe with treats ...but sometimes that doesn't work . Try handling the chicks as much as possible to get them used to you . Hope this helps .
big_smile.png

Never swoop down on a chick from above them, it's their natural instinct to run from flying predators, Move your hand under them to pick them up. I hope this helps. Good luck with your babies.

Food-Food-Food

Chickens, and chicks associate you to food! The younger they are the easier it is to tame them.

For the chicks i would hand feed them, that way there not afraid of seeing you, or your hands.

The older they get, the harder it is. I have sucessfully tamed a few full grown chickens.

What I do is i isolate them first, then i put about a cup full of food right in front of my feet...and then I wait. Eventually they will inch closer and try to eat, and realize that you mean no harm...then after that I handel them....its not an easy process, but after your done they tend to be very friendly forever!!

Will it work for you?
I dont know, but it worked for me!

Also like others said, handel them daily. And make sure they associate you to good things.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom