Need Help with my DUcks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big Dreamer, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Hey, I have 3 ducks one female mix, no clue and another male mix, brother, and a male pekin. They arent makin babies yet but i have to get rid of my female and her brother becuz she is waaaay to loud for the neighbors. And i cant get rid of my pekin becuz he was my first and i LUVE him, and i have to get rid of the females brother becuz if they are appart even when they still see eachother then she goes CRAZY and he goes CRAZY also, so best to just keep em together. once i get rid of my babies i wanted to get some females for my pekin, i was thinking of welsh harelquins but dont know if they will be loud, i was gonna get 4 females 1 male and also my pekin. thats 6 and i have a big enough pen, but i dont want them fighting or flying. any suggestions on a quiet breed thats pretty, good egg layer, and good momma, and NOT loud??

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could I add that you need to find a female that is at least as large as the pekin? If they are breeding, a smaller female could get really hurt.

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Big Dreamer I think you will be having a problem. As far as I know females are noisy. If they are bothering your neighbors now I'm sure the next set of females will do the same? Amiga is right, you will have to get a duck the same size as your pekin or larger. Good luck

4. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Oh thanks, I didnt know that! [​IMG]

5. creativeplane1

creativeplane1 New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    San Dimas, CA 91773
    Indian Runner Ducks are very quiet - had one as a child, and the neighbors thanked me because he never awakened anyone nearby. Good luck.

have a healthy and happy year, Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by