Need help with my hens..don't know what to do

ChknMom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
I rescued 2 silkie hens 3 months ago. I have kept them quarantined from my regular flock since they were new. Thank goodness I did because they had fleas, mites, worms, and had an upper respiratory disease. I have treated everything and now that it is time for them to be moved to my group they are now acting like they are going to die any day now. They have lost a lot of weight. They have almost no breast muscles and are week. They barely drink or eat. They do still do it, but not like they used to. They both are siting on eggs. I keep taking them away and then they lay another then continue to sit. I don't know if that is the problem or what. I don't have too much experience with hens. My other silkies I have I raised from hatchlings with no problems and they are so friendly and easy. I never have to worry. I am however so scared to put my two new rescues with them. If I get my healthy babies sick my heart will be broken! I love them so much! I love my new ones too but we don't have the same relationship. My flock flows me around we talk with eachother (they love it when I sing to them in the morning). Anyways, what should I do?? By the way...I feed both groups the same exact things and my healthy hens and fat little piggies and are doing great!

If you want to keep your other birds healthy, then you must cull the new birds. Trying to rescue and heal sick birds only prolongs their suffering. You may be attached to the new birds, but keeping them around will infect your whole flock and you could lose them too.

Thank you everyone. I am very upset but I know it is the right thing. I am taking them to my veterinarian today to have them humanely euthanized.

Back
Top Bottom