Need help with my R-Com 20 ASAP

I've talk to them a couple times and they are so nice and the last time I called I told the girl who answered the phone the problem I was having. She went to the tech guy and I heard her tell him that I knew what I was doing and to tell me how to reset the machine myself. I surely wasn't mailing it in to them for them to reset it. It's running great and no problems. The company is located a couple hours from me which is funny because I told them if there was a problem I just hand bring it in instead of mailing it.

You must measure the humidity. I like the inexpensive combination humidity and temperature gauges one can buy at most hardware stores and stores like Wal-Mart. Do not use this device for measuring temperature! It is very inaccurate and responds too slowly to changes in temperature.

The quotto is from Alan Standford's web Page Brown Egg Blue Egg --
I made this mistake last year used a hydrometer and it was 2 degrees low...
Cost me a whole load of silkie eggs-
The R-Com should be preset and ready to roll -
The good part about Brinsea is they have excellant customer service if you are unhappy.
As many know I started out with an R-Com and I felt like you ,with the money invested i wanted it to work --

Fertile Egg follow directions 21 days later I wanted a chick --
This was not the case for me so first the Company swapped me units --the second was no better then the first so I traded it for a regular Brinsea which has been awesome---

I am betting your R-Com is correct I would set a group of test eggs It will probabally not need any adjusting--
I know a few people use the R-Com 20 and seem to have great results --​

My humidity was off my 20% when I took it out of the box. I called customer service and they helped me get it right. It was running good then I did the homemade salt water test and recalibrated mine thinking I had set it wrong. Then I couldn't get it to recalibrate because I had decreased the range by messing with it. I then had to reset it and now it's running great.

Last edited:
"Check calibration before using the incubator" --R-Com 20 manual.
I checked mine with a Brinsea liquid in glass thermometer that I have used successfully for years to hatch batch after batch of healthy chicks. Out of the box, but after 4 hours of running, according to the Brinsea thermometer, the R-Com was off by 4 degrees. I trust the Brinsea, so I decided to adjust the R-Com. Then I had the calibration issue the OP described.

Thank you all so much, that is a wealth of knowledge! I tried calling and got NO WHERE! THANK YOU THANK YOU. I bought ANOTHER thermometer and hygrometer and they all read in a similar range so I know the R-Com is set low.

For those who have one, how much did you have to change the temp and humidity?

Okay, I reset my machine and now the temp seems to be right on the mark, and humidity is way way WAY low. Its reading at 5% and both my hygrometers say 41-42%. But the thing of it is, my machine reset to 37.5 f not celcius so it was not heating up high it was trying to go way low. Does it set it to 37.5 degrees to what ever it was last unplugged at for c or f? Does that make sense?

My eggs are HERE and ready to be put in the bator tomorrow, so I hope I get this right tonight.

When you reset the machine it will set the humidity to the 5%. Then you let it run for 30 minutes make sure to fill with water then once it's ran for the 30 you calibrate it. You have to set it to what your hygrometer says. So if yours is reading 41% then calibrate the humidity to 41%. They told me people get confused and adjust the difference but you don't do it that way. You set to what the hygrometer is reading. Then you just calibrate the temps to 99.5. Mine did the same thing it didn't change back over to clesius. I think it keeps the F or C setting that it was in when unplugged. Hope you have a great hatch and good luck.

Last edited:
Well all three of my thermometers read the same temp and humidity this morning. It all matched the r-com so here is hoping my machine is set correctly. Now my decision is to put the eggs in this morning or wait for my other batch that is due in the mail today....is it okay to leave the eggs out at room temp for more than 24 hours?

Thanks!

Well I went ahead and threw the first batch in because I called the post office and my eggs did not arrive today. Its weird both of the eggs were sent the same day, same way. grrrrr darn post office lol.

I figure they will come in the mail tomorrow then and they have to rest for 24 hours. I suppose I just screwed things up, but we shall see.

But what I find interesting now, is all night my temps remained stable at 99.5 and read the same as the r-com. I put my eggs in and now the temp is readding .5 degrees higher than the r-com. I turned the temp down .2 degrees because it started pushing over 100 degrees. Humidity dropped some too.

Back
Top Bottom