Need help with Playhouse conversion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kmakids, Jul 23, 2010.

1. kmakids

kmakids New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    Need help w/ chicken coop design. I bought this playhouse and am converting it to a coop. It is 4 ft x 8 ft and about 7 ft tall at the peak.

I've added a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to the window on the left (it's hanging on the inside now kind of like a curtain), and I have two nest boxes just under that window on the inside. I can reach in through that window and get the eggs, so that is nice.

I've realized that my ladder to the roost was too steep, but my chickens can get up and down w/out any trouble so I've removed that. I don't have predators around (except my small dog), so I'm not worried about security w/ the chain link run. My run is 6 ft x 10 ft. I have 6 chickens.

Right now I don't have a poop board, but I am thinking of adding one so I can maybe put the water inside for the winter. The food is inside right now to keep it dry.

Winters are cold here, so I will be adding a door. I was thinking of leaving the top arch open above the door for ventilation. Will that be enough?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm new to having chickens but I am LOVING IT already!

[​IMG]

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    What a COOL coop!

For a poop board - I went to Walmart & got a couple of low storage (for sliding under the bed) tubs & place them under the perch.

If your winters are cold - you will want more than carpet over the openings - you need to protect them from wind & make sure the perch is wide enough for thier feet to be flat. If it is too round thier toes freeze - if it is flat they sit on them & cover them with feathers.

In the heat of the summer you should be good with ventilation. Just leave it open - but winter will be tough on them if it is that open.

You can use plywood to build a 'door' that can be opened in the summer & closed in winter. or canvas with snaps down both sides to button it up aginst the wind.

Hope this helps - good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by