need help with possible sick chicken

ClucksAndPeeps

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Can you tell me what's wrong with her by looking at her and give me suggestions as what to do? It has been in the 20s here lately and she has been acting sluggish.

Last edited:
She is about a year and a half. She hasn't been laying. I haven't seen her poo, and I've not seen any blood in it, either. I don't know if she's eating.

How long has she been like this, and are you sure it's not a roo? Either way you need to put her in a dog cage or something with food and water , so you can monitor feed intake and at the same time you will get a better idea about the poo. Cocci comes to my mind , perhaps you should research it.
On the other hand if she is squatting , she may be ready to lay.

Pretty sure she is a hen. She lays eggs, just hasn't been lately.

Would a plastic bin with a wire cover in a warm room work?

She looks like my speckled sussex when she had coccidia. I had to dip her beak in a water/Nutridrench solution every 4 hours for about 2 days, but she pulled through.

If she has been laying and stopped, she may be egg bound. You will need to examine her and look for hard areas in or around her vent area and underbelly.
I would still quarantine her. If it's cocci you need to start her on amprolium .

She might be one of those hens that can't take the cold. I would take her into the house to keep her warm. can you tell me more about her symptoms?

Coccidiosis is in the soil everywhere, and there are 9 strains that chickens get. They build up immunity to what is in their home soil usually by 20 weeks, but if a new chicken comes in or she's new, she may be exposed to a new strain. Symptoms of coccidiosis are puffing up (like the picture,) not eating, diarrhea, ruffled feathers, and pale comb. Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp liquid per 1 gallon water for 5-7 days is the treatment. Mites, worms, and egg binding are other things to check for.

Back
Top Bottom