Need help with pregnant lab...*update*still no pups :(

Hi,
We have had several litters of labs. I am glad so many of you had good results with the temps- Lady did not read that book. My 15 yr old future vet daughter took her temp like clock work. She delcared "there will be no babies today" So we took a quick day trip to the river. Guess what? Puppies arrived before we got home at 9:30pm.

Honestly, I think if something were wrong you would know it. My lab did not get nearly as big the after the first litter and had just as many puppies- 9. If the vet said she was prego then there will be puppies. Near the end, we could not feel puppies move. I think its kind of like us when we are expecting. The baby cannot do the round house kicks near the end, there is simply no room.
thumbsup.gif

Just wanted to jump in here. Normally (and I say this because there is always a female who will break all the rules) the female will go below 99 and stay below 99, like 97 or 98, not 100.2. I don't think she will have pups tonight. Normally they will also go off their food that day and start nesting. It does sound like she is getting close though.

I used to breed and show for about 12 years, until it got to hard with a family to concentrate on. I will go back to it eventually. Right now I am a 4-H leader for my kids, who show dogs in 4-H, AKC & UKC along with poultry, rabbits & goats.

I hope all goes ok.

My friend has a litter of Dobes due around the 19-23. Her family raised poodles when she was a kid, but it has been years. However, her husband is clueless. So is the owner of the male dobe, so this has been a funny journey. They asked me to help. They (hubby and stud dog owner) were both shocked by the breeding, first they tried to help, the dogs were not receptive to that. Then when the dogs did tie, they were shocked at how they were "stuck" together and for how long. Evidently neither had ever seen that before, which I thought was weird for adults. Now the pups are due and the hubby and male dog owner want to be there, so my friend found a video on the internet and made both watch, about what would happen and what it would look like. Female eating the placenta's, green fluids, etc. The both changed their minds pretty quick!! lol
gig.gif
lau.gif

Okay, took her temp this morning and she is still at 100.2
Last night chad felt lumps way back in her belly so I just think that maybe she's real close...maybe the next day or two. We have to go to my FIL's tonight and it wouldn't surprise me if we came home to puppies tonight. It would be my luck that she would have them right in the middle of our couch or our bed!
He called the vet and the receptionist said that we could bring her in and to go back and check the dates. I just think that maybe I miscounted and my dates are off. I'm thinking it will be in the next few days, certainly by this weekend.
She just seems to be laying around a lot...she's also started growling at the cats when I feed her...she never does that. I feed her on the porch so the kids won't mess with her while she eats but the cats are fair game.

I'll keep you posted!

Lori

oooohhh this is going to be one of those topics that every one just hangs on, watching for updates....

Just_Cuz_13.gif

My kids' daycare family just had a litter of golden retrievers- 10 of them! Their dog was just how you're describing yours the whole week before Thanksgiving. I thought they'd be out for sure by Monday, but no. She finally whelped yesterday.

Don't get too worked up, keep the mama comfy and warm. Not knowing the due date it could be today or it could be in a week. It's hard but be patient. It's like when those little chicks start pipping, you want to help them out but it's much better to just let them be.
wink.png

Lori I think Vicki2X2 is correct, it has to drop below 100....Ok so I loose the bet darn it!
lol.png
I am thinking and my lab did stay at 100.something for a day or so then dropped to 99 and 98 and I quit taking temps then. Yeah when she drops to 99 it is happening, if the pups were way back, she is lining them up.

And the growling at the cats is her saying you are not gonna do this when my babies get her so get used to it. "Feel lucky punk!!!!!" She is getting her territory marked out and boundaries set for the other animals...yes keep your 20 mo old away from her...not that she is bad, just she will be protective and you don't want your little one getting hurt by accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd also keep the cats away from her at this time so as not to make her nervous especially when she is ready to drop the pups. Am I being too mother hen?

The cats are outside and she is inside so I don't think it will be too much of an issue. My daughter lays all over her and I can't get it through her thick skull to leave her alone. She keeps saying "no no no, lub maggie, babies, coming, out, kay? lubbu maggie *big fat kiss on the lips*

Oh, thought you guys would like to see a pic from her last litter....we called this one "all in a row"
15898_all_in_a_row.jpg

I think she'll be okay, I really think that she'll have them by the end of this weekend. Oh, hey, how do you go into a post and change the title or add something...like for me to go into this post and add *update new puppy pics* when they finally get here?

Lori

Back
Top Bottom