Jack2571

In the Brooder
May 4, 2018
Thank goodness for this forum. By owning a tall 3 ft flower pot in my front yard I have unwittingly become a grandparent of baby quail that just hatched today. The problem is, 2 years ago a brood of babies that hatched in the same pot could not get out of the pot and we didn't realize this until they started to die. We immediately took the live ones left out of the pot by hand which was very traumatic for them and released them in the yard but never knew if the parent quail found them. This time we want to let them out in time and were told by some to lay the big pot on its side so they could get out easier without direct contact from us. My question is, how soon, right away? I don't want them to die or be abandoned by their parents so we have stayed away from the pot. There is Lantana growing in the pot so I'm hoping that the soil won't fall to the side as well and cover them. Any ideas??? Help!! Thank you

What about putting more soil in the pot so they can reach the edge?
But I actually don't think the mom should have left the chicks alone at all - if she's not there now, it might already be too late. Or you might be lucky and she's still near, but if you don't see her I think I might just raise them myself..

What about putting more soil in the pot so they can reach the edge?
But I actually don't think the mom should have left the chicks alone at all - if she's not there now, it might already be too late. Or you might be lucky and she's still near, but if you don't see her I think I might just raise them myself..
She didn't leave this time, only in the afternoon when she needs to feed herself for a short time. She is on the eggs and babies this morning, had to keep them warm last night. I know she will raise them herself, I just have to give them a way out of the pot so they can follow her before they starve to death. I was asking if we should take action right away, or wait a day or two. I saw another post that said they need to move with the mother right away. Putting more soil in the pot would scare her off right now.

Is there enough room in the pot to add some food and water while she's away one afternoon so she doesn't need to go far afterwards?

How many eggs are left to hatch?

Great news, the parents of the hatched quail babies were fretting over their young so about 20 mins ago I gently laid the pot over on its side. Went back in the house and after a few minutes the parents came back and all the babies got out! I then set the pot upright and heard one more baby cheeping, so picked it up and took it to where the other were--though they scattered for a bit- left them again and now I can see the parents out the windows with their brood. What a relief!!!! Thanks for everyone's concern. :) A happy ending today!!

Back
Top Bottom