Great news, the parents of the hatched quail babies were fretting over their young so about 20 mins ago I gently laid the pot over on its side. Went back in the house and after a few minutes the parents came back and all the babies got out! I then set the pot upright and heard one more baby cheeping, so picked it up and took it to where the other were--though they scattered for a bit- left them again and now I can see the parents out the windows with their brood. What a relief!!!! Thanks for everyone's concern. :) A happy ending today!!

Aw that's brilliant! Maybe you could pop something like a small box or another, empty flower pot on its side by that one for so they have a safe place to return?
I don't know anything about wild quail so not sure if they would normally relocate immediately after hatching or not

We live here in the desert and from what I've seen in the past, they usually move on. If the nest was on the ground I could see that happening, but that pot is so tall. We have a lot of shrubs so I just hope they can take refuge in those at night. So excited to see them all ok so far. :)

Great news, the parents of the hatched quail babies were fretting over their young so about 20 mins ago I gently laid the pot over on its side. Went back in the house and after a few minutes the parents came back and all the babies got out! I then set the pot upright and heard one more baby cheeping, so picked it up and took it to where the other were--though they scattered for a bit- left them again and now I can see the parents out the windows with their brood. What a relief!!!! Thanks for everyone's concern. :) A happy ending today!!
So happy for you!

If you're in California, I'd imagine you're looking at California quail.
Quail are very mobile once the eggs hatch and don't need to return to the nest, they'll just hunker down somewhere suitable.

Ah okay

Do feel free to post a pic of the little family if you can get one ;)
Here are a couple of pics, I think I counted 16 babies in one of the pictures. Here is the famous pot, hatched eggs, the babies with Momma looking down on them. By this afternoon they all had traveled to the backyard and into a safe neighbors yard, all of the babies heeding Momma's call. We have dogs so I was glad to see them in a safe backyard. :)

Attachments

• 20180504_092430.jpg
    20180504_092430.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180504_092430.jpg
    20180504_092430.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180504_144121.jpg
    20180504_144121.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180504_170109.jpg
    20180504_170109.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 26
If you're in California, I'd imagine you're looking at California quail.
Quail are very mobile once the eggs hatch and don't need to return to the nest, they'll just hunker down somewhere suitable.
Yes, I am finding that out! We have learned a lot, and yes, they are Calif quail. Love it!!

Attachments

• 20180504_092416_001.jpg
    20180504_092416_001.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom