Need help with roosts.

agreed, when I first started reading thru BYC-- one of the biggest injuries happens when chickens come down off the roost. If your roost is too high and you have heavy birds, they can hurt themselves. I wouldn't put the roost any higher than 3 ft off the ground. Here is my ladder style roost-- that way they can step/hop up and aren't too high off the floor. This picture shows my ladder goes up to a longer roost that runs the entire length of the coop. They also roost on the ladder. (this was taken before my coop was finished)

LL

They all seem to prefer the highest roost possible at night. So they have a long roost right below the roof, above my head (about 7 ft off the ground). There are 3 other small roosts about two feet apart that step up to that highest roost. It looks like a jungle gym. I used 2-3 inch thick branches for the roosts and left the bark on for traction.

I'd use your back wall there where you don't have any windows. Windows make it a little drafty for the chickens, especially in the colder months. That being said, mine shares a wall with a window and I just keep it closed every day/night except during the summer.

I agree with the person that said to keep it 3' at the highest. You don't want them getting hurt. And you need to help them by giving them a way to get to the top. All of my chickens prefer to roost on the top rung. (Although, I've heard from bantam owners that their banties prefer the lower roosts. I'm not sure what kind you have...) I've provided a picture of ours, but there are many, many other ways of doing it.

Hey MaranMan, I've made my roosts out of natural wood, each branch two inches in diameter. The chickens really seem to like the natural wood! I used hickory wood tho, I've heard cedar is toxic!

Cedar is only toxic if ingested. It gives off a great odor that keeps bugs away too :) Our coop will be made from Cedar Planks.
We are also using fallen branches as Roosts. I will post pictures for you when we are finished. Natural branches are the best for all birds to roost/perch on, as the bumby texture means thier feet will never get pressure sores or caluses from roosting on the same texture every night. It can also help sand down your chickens nails.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I just read the fumes were toxic. Using cedar planks as a coop? What is your annual salary? haha, joking of course, but I do like the smell of cedar. I lucked out and got $1,000+ of cedar shake (vinyl) siding for free. I chose to build my coop at the same time my father-in-law was building his house, so I got all the left-overs. He didn't feel like he was wasting money, and neither did I! Win all the way around!

Back
Top Bottom