Need help with run decision

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CherryChick, Nov 28, 2011.

1. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    We are getting close to our New Coop being done! Thanks goodness its getting cold out!

For our old Coop we had a 8x12 inclosed run for our 8 girls. (Our old one was all mobile) Now that we have updated to a 8'x16' coop we want a nice big run especially since we will be getting more chickens this spring. My question is will a fenced in area be safe enough for the chickens? If so how tall do you think it needs to be 4ft or 6ft? I put them inside their coop before the sunsets.

Any imput will be very helpful!!!
    Thank you
    KT

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. jpsbcfc

jpsbcfc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    west midlands, uk
    i would always say make it big enough for you to walk in, saves a lot of bother then!

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    I really love my hoop house run. It was really easy to build and can hold snow loads in the winter. Completely covered and easy to walk into. You can see pics of it from the link in my siggy.

5. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

While we live in the city, we have plenty of predators around here (this morning around 5:30 am when I let my dogs out one of our local owls took off from a branch right by the back door).

Six feet is a good height for a run...

What we've done regarding covering our runs (which are six feet tall):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by