Need help with sex of chick. Updated pics

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
Trying to figure who laid the brown egg the white chick hatched out of. S/he is 5 weeks old and has a rose comb, I think (?) that looks grayish. The daddy is a SLW but the mama could be a...

Red Sex Link
New Hampshire Red
Black Australorp

idunno.gif

10133_img_1064.jpg

10133_img_1065.jpg

10133_img_1061.jpg

10133_img_1060.jpg

10133_img_1071.jpg

10133_img_1040.jpg

What'cha think?

It was hard to get pics of it. Every time I pointed my camera at it, Lucy would call and they'd run away... chicken chickens! Anyone want to guess as to if it is a pullet or a roo? Based on the comb alone I'm leaning towards pullet.
fl.gif
I'm pretty sure the other 3 are cockerels. Check out the comb on this little guy!
10133_img_1062.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rose combs are different sexing than regular combs. Based on the tail, I'd say it's a roo but mostly I am clueless because I am rethinking all my decisions on my own chicks this year!
I need to research the rose comb. One sex has 3 rows and one has 1 row, but I forget which is which. Looking at my adults, the roo has 3 rows and the hens have one row, but you know the rule: don't trust it til it lays an egg or crows!

That's what I'm thinking too, InsaneBreeder. I have already gotten 3 SLW x RSL cockerels from her this year, but they have single combs. That dark rose comb is throwing me, plus it's wattles are still tiny compared to the other ones at this age. That's why I'm hoping
fl.gif
that this little one is a pullet, from another mother. Doesn't hurt to be in denial for a little while anyway.
tongue.png

ETA... here is one of my RSL's boys that hatched in April (he's already been re-homed.)

10133_img_0641.jpg

The bodies look identical but the combs are so very different.
hmm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I still can't figure this one out. 12 weeks old today... pullet or cockerel?

10133_img_1298.jpg

10133_img_1297.jpg

10133_img_1299.jpg

10133_img_1296.jpg

10133_img_1295.jpg

One of the little boy nestmates for size/development comparison...
10133_img_1300.jpg

It is a pullet, and the parent is the Sex-Link. The white you're seeing is the dominant white from the Sex Link hen.

Just as a little note, when crossing a parent with one dominant white allele (usually showing a pie-bald sort of appearance, such as EE cockerels and Sex-Link hens) and a parent without the white, you're going to get a 50/50 chance of solid white chicks or chicks without any (dominant) white at all.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom