need help with sex of chicken.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dread666, Oct 28, 2012.

1. dread666

dread666 New Egg

May 9, 2012
    hello all, this is my first post. was wondering if you all were able to determine if one of my buff orpingtons is a rooster?

im in a suburban/urban area and cant have roosters. i got the 2 buffs at the same time and just hit 6 months, im getting 1 egg a day, so im assuming only 1 is laying, and i know they can start laying at different times, but 1 of them is starting to make A LOT more noise, so i need to get it figured out before i have anyone called about noise complaints...

this one i believe is the hen.
    [​IMG]

this is the one in question,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here are the 2 together, the one in question is on the left.

[​IMG]

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all! and thanks for a wonderful and helpful site.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC!

Looks like two pullets to me.

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    X2. Hens start laying at different times and you are probably hearing lots of eggs songs.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Those are definitely girls. I have 25 Buff Orpingtons and they are very noisy when they lay their eggs. They talk a lot, too.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both are pullets. They get really vocal right before they start laying.

6. dread666

dread666 New Egg

May 9, 2012
    awesome, thank you everyone. so before they start laying they get noisy? once they start laying do they quiet down? the other one is pretty quiet and i definetely dont mind some chatter, just not sure how the neighbors will feel...cause she makes the most noise early, like 7-9 am, so im just worried about waking people up.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're both pullets. Some girls are just noisy, but if your birds are legal and it's after 6 am there's really nothing for your neighbors to complain about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by