Need help with sick Coturnix Quail

StaticChaos

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Dublin, OH
Hello,

I have a buddy who also breeds quail and he has one that is acting strange and he asked me to post this for him. I don't know what the problem is, but he has a 6 week old Jumbo Brown Coturnix that out of the blue is acting lethargic, walking around like it is drunk, and keeps falling over on its side and laying there for periods of time. He can't see anything physically wrong with it. He has separated it for observation but is unsure what to do, if anything. Has anyone seen this before? If so, what is it and can anything be done? Any information you can provide will be relayed back to him ASAP.

Thanks.

Here is a pic he just sent me of the bird:

This could be two things....if this came on suddenly this quail probably hit his head on the ceiling and has brain swelling. So it causes them to lose the ability to walk properly.

If this has been coming on slowly, then it could be Mareks Disease. Not all that common in quail, but it does happen occasionally. They will slowly go lame, dragging wings to walk, glazed over eyes, lay on their sides, going completely paralyzed in the end. This is a very contagious disease and there is no cure.

So I would keep this bird separate, on some soft bedding and put an infra red heat lamp on the bird. This will keep him comfortable. Not so much heat that he over heats, but can use it to improve circulation to the brain. Put some apple cider vinegar in the water. 3/4 teaspoon acv to one quart of water, plastic only waterer. Change and make new daily. If the bird can not drink on it's own, dip the beak several times a day or hold the bird up to the waterer. The ACV will help with any brain swelling and improve appetite. It also raises the PH of the body to help ward of bacteria and virus's.

Many times quail go off their feed when sick. So feed him what ever he will eat....chopped up hard boiled eggs, cooked warm oatmeal, grits, quartered fruit, just anything to keep him alive while he heals.

Supportive care will be the only thing that may help to save him. If he has Mareks, his chances of survival are not good. If he hit his head on the ceiling, he may survive but it will take a while to reduce the swelling. He may or may not survive. Give him some time. If he gets really bad, put him down.

Good luck with this bird and keep us posted!

Thanks so much. I passed that info along. He was already under the impression that it hit its head on the ceiling but this helps to confirm. I will keep updating.

Back
Top Bottom