Need help with sick hen

buckabucka

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 13, 2010
Fairfield, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
My 2 year old Buff Chantecler is sick. She became listless rather quickly, has little to no appetite, and has bright green diarrhea (although not a lot, because she doesn't eat).

We found she was crawling with mites and have dusted her twice with DE. For 3 days now, we have been bringing her in at night, and keeping her outside, but separate from the other hens during the day. Occasionally, she will eat scrambled egg out of my hand. We syringe fed some yogurt yesterday. Mostly, she just hunkers down and sleeps. She is drinking water with Avia charge.

Today, we could not find any mites on her, but she has not really changed. She doesn't seem to get worse or better.

I am frustrated because I don't know what to do next. Should I de-worm her just in case? I don't want to randomly start administering drugs without knowing what I am treating.
I appreciate any advice!

The mites may have caused her to be anemic due to blood loss. You can mix peas, buttermilk, hard boiled egg yolk, crushed raisins, and try getting her to eat it. Buttermilk is a probiotic. The rest are sources of iron.

Thanks, dawg53. I was wondering if a bad case of mites could really knock her down like this. When we inspected the rest of the flock, some had mites, some had lice, and some were clean (all got a good dusting with DE), but the sick hen was really covered in mites!

Is buttermilk better for probiotics than yogurt? I only have yogurt on hand at the moment, but could pick up some other things for her.

Back
Top Bottom