need help with sick peacock

I was told to inject between shoulder blades yet up into neck..right or wrong?
If you don't know how to give subcutaneous injections to birds I would suggest giving it in the breast muscle. Birds have air sacs in that area, and unless you know how to do subcutaneous injections there is a very real risk of giving it into the air sack. Great picture of air sack here: http://www.earthlife.net/birds/breath.html

-Kathy

Have them research the differences between IM and SC injections in birds. Done wrong, either could be cause injury or death.

-Kathy

I had a bad experience last Thursday giving an injection. I plan to give a full account in the Respiratory Problem thread but the short of it after a long consultation with my veterinarian, was that she decided that too much stress killed the yearling hen. In our case the needle that the vets assistant had on the syringe was too large for birds so I had to go to the house for a proper sized needle while DW held the bird. We took too long to get the injection done and the release was too stressful as well, it got away before DW was ready to release it.

When giving an injection you should have everything ready and at hand. The bird should be caught quickly and carefully being held securely by one person while the second person administers the injection. The bird should be held with one arm around the body holding the wings securely to the birds body and the other arm to secure the thighs of the bird holding the legs straight to the rear of the bird. Using the advice given above by Kathy, that the needle point is in between the skin and meat of the bird. Another point to be careful of is that the needle does not pierce through both folds of the skin and out the other side. I also like to feel for wetness on the bird after the injection to assure that the medication did indeed remain inside the bird. When the bird is ready to be released lay the birds chest to the ground putting one hand on the back of the bird, then release the legs so the bird takes a few seconds to raise up without jumping or flying thus reducing sudden exertion by the bird.

I have given many, many injections but this loss was hard for me. I hope that what I have learned is of value to you.

. You may also want to open the mouth and see if you can clear the plug that is causing the sinuses to swell. I never knew about the sinus plug thing until I was shown by another breeder. I had so so success with clearing the blockage. Live to Learn.
I haven't heard of this before. Can you give us a little more information? Thanks

Just like you have an opening between your sinuses and your primary airway (so you can breathe by mouth), peafowl also have one. I am sure you have seen pictures of an open peafowl mouth with the airway exposed? That airway, when the mouth is closed, connects to the opening behind the palate on the top of the mouth leading to the sinuses. Next time you have one with sinus issues and they are mouth breathing, open their mouth and see if you can see the plug that is keeping the airway closed. There is not much room in their sinuses as opposed to ours, so the plug is very close to that opening.

I can post a photo of the infection i found in my peahen back in 2011 but some may find it graphic.

It's ok. It's for science.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom