Need Help with Snake

terricksa

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I found this little guy trying to get into our basement thru our garage lastnight.

50286_img_4338.jpg

I think it is a black rat snake but not positive.

Can anyone help confirm or deny. Also good or bad to have?

Also I am in SW PA, if that helps or is needed

How long is it?

I'm guessing juvie black racer, which is a good one to have around, but that guess depends upon size, i.e. age.

Do a Google search for snakes of PA - I have a bookmarked site for SC snakes, it's great for ID.

Quote:
It was maybe 18 inches.

Google is what got me to Juvey black rat snake. Just was looking for more confirmation. Also should I be worried about more young ones tryign to get in?

Quote:
It was maybe 18 inches.

Google is what got me to Juvey black rat snake. Just was looking for more confirmation. Also should I be worried about more young ones tryign to get in?

Your mice should be very worried.
big_smile.png

Looks like a rat snake, though not sure of the variety. Definitely GOOD to keep rodent population down and they are completely harmless. They will, more often than not, run away when they see you coming. Juvies may nip, but it doesnt hurt any more than a finger-stick for blood.

I was thinking Gray Rat snake but I think that most young rat snakes look pretty much alike. Good one to have around but you need to keep your baby chicks secure.

Back
Top Bottom