Need help with swollen abdomen?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by camiriddell, Oct 1, 2016.

1. camiriddell

camiriddell New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    I just took an older Hen 5-6 years from a friend bc the rest of the flock was taken from predators. I'm pretty new to raising chickens. Haven't had to deal with many health issues from my flock.
    This hen may have mites on her feet and her abdomen is not right. I gave her a warm soapy bath scrubbed her feet and rubbed with olive oil, and about to give probiotics and deworm, but it seems from what I've read there isn't much you can do about the abdomen except draining with a needle and vet consult. Her comb and everything seems pretty healthy tho. [​IMG]400[/IMG]
    I ran out of gloves, hence the bags. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That doesn't look good! Please post in the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" section. They should be able to give you good advice. Hope she will be ok!

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community. Hope the folks over in the Emergencies section can help you out! Best wishes. :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please do post on the emergency thread or take her to a vet.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Sorry you are dealing wit this. :/ Hope you used the link given, and hope you got some answers!

1 person likes this.
  7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Could be a reproductive issue or Ascites or a combination thereof - please post in the ER forum.

8. How did she go? My chook has a similar swollen abdomen. Last time I took a chook to the vet it cost $110 and I don't think the prognosis would be good. A series of antibiotics etc might help, but would cost a fortune. So I made up some colloidal silver yesterday. Gave her two doses Lunchtime and suppertime. Have given her some this morning. I also put out some kefir but she wasn't interested, just had a poke at it this morning. I did manage to get some kefir grain into her mouth and she swallowed it. Dare I say she looks a little bit brighter? We'll see. Seeing as I had it (the CS), I took some too. I'm not looking any brighter :(. Colloidal silver is anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti bacterial. Goes at it on all fronts. It's probably not so strong as an antibiotic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by