Need Help With Temp In Homemade Styrofoam Incubator.....

Are any of them bantam? Wow! Yes you will haha! I started off with 26 silkie eggs and they almost didn't fit. I had to get creative with water bowl placement and hang it from the side of the bator with duct tape to make room
roll.png

haha! the way I made my incubator you put water underneath the tray for the eggs so I don't have to deal with not having enough room for eggs^^

Someone suggested sticking a wet pad or diaper inside. I did that for lockdown to get the humidity up high enough and it worked really well. I used a large diaper and loaded it with water so maybe just a small pad? It sounds weird I know lol

To increase humidity, increase the surface area of the water...

A small flat pan works well, the bigger the pan the more humidity, depth of water is not a variable, beyond how often you will need to fill it...

What works well and will avoid 'drownings' and also increase surface area even further is to take a shallow dish and cut a section of polyester batting to fit in the pan completely... This way you have basically a big wet 'sponge' and no open water...

You can purchase the batting at any fabric store or even in Walmart's fabric section for a few bucks per yard...

Some Walmarts even carry little precut bags of it...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Morning-Glory-High-Loft-Batting-45-x-60/19397505

I don't understand how it will maintain proper temperature without a thermostat. They are only $8 at the hardware store, and if you are worried about wiring, don't be--all you do is cut one of the two wires from the cord, and add the thermostat. There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to do it. It took me five minutes to setup both my light and fan on a thermostat.

To control humidity in mine I drilled a hole for a straw. I use a syringe to shoot water into a tray through the straw, so I don't have to open the lid. When it comes to lockdown I'll probably use a sponge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom