Need help with weird sticky shrinkwrapped chick

kukupecpec

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Tucson AZ
So my very last chick got stuck. I waited almost 36 hours after pipping (it wasn't patience believe me! I was stuck at work a lot of it) and when there was no progress last night I helped out. Once I got in there, it was totally shrinwrapped. The membrane was hard like plastic and super stuck to her little fuzz. I helped her out - followed all you are supposed to for helping hatch - and when she was out she couldn't move her legs or wings because they were still pretty glued to her by the membrane-turned-plastic. I didn't want to peel it off because the one place I did that it yanked her fuzz right out of her skin and she has a little bald patch now. I upped humidity, waited a few hours, nothing happened, so I washed her off in the sink with warm water keeping it off her head. Just enough to let her legs and wings loose.
Put her back in and went to bed.

This morning she is sorta crooked but still completely laying down where most chicks would be up and running around. I took her out to see what was up and she's still covered in what feels like a plastic film, and it's reventer her from getting control of her body. How can I help her?

So my very last chick got stuck. I waited almost 36 hours after pipping (it wasn't patience believe me! I was stuck at work a lot of it) and when there was no progress last night I helped out. Once I got in there, it was totally shrinwrapped. The membrane was hard like plastic and super stuck to her little fuzz. I helped her out - followed all you are supposed to for helping hatch - and when she was out she couldn't move her legs or wings because they were still pretty glued to her by the membrane-turned-plastic. I didn't want to peel it off because the one place I did that it yanked her fuzz right out of her skin and she has a little bald patch now. I upped humidity, waited a few hours, nothing happened, so I washed her off in the sink with warm water keeping it off her head. Just enough to let her legs and wings loose.
Put her back in and went to bed.

This morning she is sorta crooked but still completely laying down where most chicks would be up and running around. I took her out to see what was up and she's still covered in what feels like a plastic film, and it's reventer her from getting control of her body. How can I help her?
that stuff is tough
It may take afew washings to get her unglued You may have to put her in warm water again lightly rub her wings with yur fingers .sometimes a film comes off once its softer and you rub it Then wait a little bit then wash again while the stuff is still softer to get it off rub fgentley with your finger . Think of dried egg on a plate..If she can stand later and wings are free..then if shes a little sticky and not fluffy that will wear off in a day or 2 NO BIG DEAL
Just make sure all limbs can work ANd make sure her eyes arent glued shut!!I had that twice on stickys.GOOd LUck!

Last edited:
that stuff is tough
It may take afew washings to get her unglued You may have to put her in warm water again lightly rub her wings with yur fingers .sometimes a film comes off once its softer and you rub it Then wait a little bit then wash again while the stuff is still softer to get it off rub fgentley with your finger . Think of dried egg on a plate..If she can stand later and wings are free..then if shes a little sticky and not fluffy that will wear off in a day or 2 NO BIG DEAL
Just make sure all limbs can work ANd make sure her eyes arent glued shut!!I had that twice on stickys.GOOd LUck!
Thanks! I wanted to make sure that bathing her wasn't going to do any harm.
I'm fairly certain her eyes ARE stuck shut. Do I just run water over them? I don't know that I should actually rub on them? Do I leave her in the incubator alone or should I move her into the brooder with everyone else?

I would just wet a Q-tip and gently rub her eyes till she can open them. How is she now?

MaTanner1

Unfortunately she died in the incubator this afternoon. I tried what I could but she just wasn't strong enough on her own =(

Back
Top Bottom