Need help writing a bill for City Council.

Srbenda

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
Our town currently bans chickens as seen in the ordinance below.

It shall be unlawful for any person to raise or maintain or keep domestic fowl (including pigeons), bees and beehives, livestock, or wild animals of any kind within the Town of [REDACTED]. For the purpose of this section, livestock shall include, but is not limited to, cows, sheep, goats, swine, mules, donkeys horses, or ponies.

I have read the Salem Chickens materials but am interested in help for 2 things.

1) For assistance with a formal bill to introduce to the Town, including the amendment to the above Ordinance.

2) Ideas on what the bill should include, for example limiting the # of chickens her household, a minimum number of feet from a neighbors yard or fenceline, etc.

Thanks!​

The State Gov site should tell you how many fowl you can purchase. Like the State of Maine, you must buy 6 chicks at a time. Although after 8 weeks of age, feathers, you can purchase 1 at a time.
NH I believe you must have a 12 chick minimum.

Your state Vet will know, or doing a search on your state should be able to answer that. Also, if your close to your local/state government going in and asking how to find that information. It took many people a few days to find the laws, contradictory and a lot of double wording.

I admire your desire to change your town for the better. Contacting the news papers just when you want to bring attention to the law, just be careful that it doesn't back fire!

Wish I could help you more!

Many states do not have laws on mimimum chick purchases. A city ordinance shouldn't dublicate information covered by a state law, not should it contradict it (which would make it invalid); however, jurisdiction and interest are very different between city ordinances and state law.

You need to address the issues specific to your city;

1) realizing that many people have untraditional pets, and that they should not be penalized for that preferance

2) many people are trying to live a more sustainable lifestyle, which includes more "back to our roots" lifestyle--up until a few decades ago, poultry were common in large cities to provide eggs and meat for the residents--usually a few hens per household.

3) Address nuisances such as noise, odor and pests (flies and other bugs), manure and health concerns

Can you post the entire livestock and pet animal ordinance?

I am a firm believer of KIS (Keep it simple). Example below, the reason being it is easier to enforce if it's simple and nuisance laws are generally in place elsewhere.

It shall be unlawful for any person to raise or maintain or keep domestic fowl (including pigeons), bees and beehives, livestock, or wild animals of any kind within the Town of [REDACTED]. For the purpose of this section, livestock shall include, but is not limited to, cows, sheep, goats, swine, mules, donkeys horses, or ponies.
For the purpose of section ###(insert what section this is) up to # chickens shall be considered household pets and shall be excluded from this section, housing of such shall be no less that 40 feet from front boundary (this prevents front yard coops and any others you think you will need)

Use what Sonoran Silkies said in your argument those are great ideas, the first step is to talk to who is in charge of day to day happenings. This is sometimes the mayor, a city manager, or whoever and talk to him about it. I would provide a well written document detailing facts about chickens etc.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a great idea.

I agree that just adding an exclusion for chickens is much simpler than trying to rewrite the entire section.

I have already talked to several of our Council members on the issue to get their support, I just need to formalize this bill.

I would suggest that you get a copy of either the Madison WI or Portland OR ordinances. Madison allows up to four hens, no roosters, and Portland allows three hens.

Further refinements could be tied to lot sizes, if there is some variation. Our town allows up to four horses if you have a half acre.

You should rent or buy the video: "Mad City Chickens".

I am a lawyer so let me know if you need help.

Go to the City of Madison website under general ordinances. It's under Zoning, Section 28.082b8 (Page 28-66). It' s pdf format.

It does require payment of an annual fee and you have to notify the neighbors and not have more than 50% of them object within 14 days of notification. There is also a website under "madcitychickens". They are doing a coop tour in August.

Back
Top Bottom