Need Help. Your Coops "Must Haves"

What we thought about doing was a good amount of windows probably 2 on each wall (our roof is going to be ventilated also) and making them be able to shut if it gets extremely cold in winter. We live in southern NC so we have humid summers and winters are unpredictable. What do you think?

One word of caution here: I think that an isolation cage within the coop would serve the purposes of isolating a convalescent injured bird, where you can treat it while it is still benefiting from the company of the rest of the flock. The cage could also be used to break a hen from broodiness or to place a broody hen in with her eggs so you can have a nesting box vacant for the other non broodies to lay their eggs. Maybe you will want to integrate a new chicken into the flock without running the risk of it being pecked too much, after you have quarantined that bird of course.
However, I would never use an isolation cage within the coop to isolate sick birds. Many diseases are contagious and respiratory diseases can infect your other birds by them breathing the same air particles. So, if you ever have a sick bird, isolate it far from your coop for treatment.

We of course will have it predator proof, well ventilated, plenty of roost space and a super large run n etc. I was meaning anything extra that you find convenient or nice to have. Sorry if I wasn't clear. But thank you for your very informative post. I really appreciate it!

TexasMomof5 thank you for your pictures. We have planned on the nipple system but feeders we hadn't decided on. I love the ones in the pic. Can you tell me how you did that please?
is the video we got our idea for our waterers. We couldn't find the square containers, so we just used the 5 gallon buckets.

is the video we got our idea for our feeders. Again, couldn't find the square containers, so just used 5 gal buckets. Also, we couldnt find the same type of 90 degree pvc elbows, we got the ones with the coupler on it and just it in half to make a "roof" to keep water from running in.

Also, we use pellets and not grain, so at the back of the piece that goes into the bucket, we had to make a little notch for the pellets to free fall, like the grain does in the video.

Also, instead of just doing one hole, we did two. We placed our at different heights for the different birds we have and so far all of our birds are doing well using them. The feeders need to be placed at chest height for the birds to eat from easily.

We have ducks, guineas, chickens and geese.

Last edited:
You are very welcome. We've only been doing this for about 5 years so, we are still learning and coming up with new ideas....hubby and I both get on you tube and BYC for ideas, some people are so creative!

What we thought about doing was a good amount of windows probably 2 on each wall (our roof is going to be ventilated also) and making them be able to shut if it gets extremely cold in winter. We live in southern NC so we have humid summers and winters are unpredictable. What do you think?
Having screened windows that you can open in the summer for cross ventilation is a must in the south. Having a south facing window with a perch so they can sit in the sun in the winter is on their wish list. If you have a local recycle store where you can pick up used windows check them out. You will also be able to pick up building supplies cheap. Have enough overhang to direct the water run off away from the coop and run. Put gutters on if you get torrential downpours. It will also give them a covered area outside they can hang out in during bad weather. Having enough room for you to stand up in is a must.

The real fun of a chicken coop is they can be as bizarre and unique as you can imagine. I love seeing everyone's coop for creative ideas. Mine are in a horse stall which is functional but not very interesting. Once I move....

Just thought of this because it came to my attention yesterday when I was painting the inside of a 10x10 shed/coop.
If you have beams across the interior ceiling, the chickens may roost up there - even if you have lower roosts. Of course, the downside is that they will poop all over the place, defeating your attempts at a well-planned and well-placed roost and poop board.

I looked this up and saw a solution on the Chicken Chick's site where she simply stapled poultry netting across the joists to block access.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-I6YSjQn5_...w1r1k0r0s/s400/9-4-11+Flock+pics+%2882%29.jpg

Just something to consider if you have these high joists.

Most chickens can't fly up that high but if you have guineas mixed in like I do they do prefer to roost as high as possible and everything below including the hens get pooped on.

If I had my druthers, I'd prefer a small area separated from the chickens for supplies and stuff:
hand sanitizer
boot rack or shelf
shelving for Sweet PDZ, DE
egg basket
gloves/dust masks
flashlight
tools- poop board scraper, etc

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom