1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alleymorgan9750, Mar 16, 2016.

1. alleymorgan9750

alleymorgan9750 New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    Hello! I have some questions if anyone has any ideas that would be great! Last week I bought 10 new healthy laying hens and some chicks, I got them home and noticed some mites on the chicks so just to be sale I cleaned my coop and sprayed my hens and chicks with Poultry Protector! Mites went away and every thing had been fine I have continued to spray lightly around my coop with the spray once to twice daily to be safe. This morning I went to let my hens out for the first time and saw that 3-4 of them have a very swollen eye that's swollen shut and it's puffy around the area they area they have a little stuffy nose ans are kinda lathargect!! I'm very worried![​IMG] My coop is very well ventilated and I haven't sprayed in face the other hens are perfectly fine and energetic? Was it the spray? Is it contagious to the other chickens? And can I get medicine for it? Is so what kind? Thanks so much if anyone has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it!

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If they had mites when you got them, they could have already had something else going on with them that took a week to show up. It most likely was not the spray you used.

The emergency experts should be able to help you out. Let them know all the details you can think of so they can get a clear picture of what's going on.

Good luck, hope everyone will be well soon.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. alleymorgan9750

alleymorgan9750 New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    Ok thanks for your comments!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope your birds will be alright.

7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - sorry to hear about your chickens, but i hope other members will be able to help you out.

All the best
    CT

8. silky guy

silky guy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    San Antonio Tx
    maybe their allergic ????

9. silky guy

silky guy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    San Antonio Tx
    [​IMG]maybe their allergic