1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sarabeth, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sarabeth

sarabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    A friend gave me a 7-gallon brower fountain waterer. I cannot figure out how to fill it without the water pouring out everywhere. Does anyone else have one of these and can tell me the trick to it? [​IMG]

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Are you referring to the plastic kind with a black screw on lid? If so they are a pain to seal...
    If the metal ones leak they usually have a hole in them keeping it from sealing. Or they get "out around" from dropping or banging them around.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:To make them seal more easily, always be sure the O ring and the inside of the lid is clean.

You can order replacement O rings for the LG fountains. Also, putting a little Vaseline on the rings can make it easier to seal

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    There should be a little white cap near the top that you can take off and screw onto the opening in the bottom while you're filling it. Then make sure to tighten the black top tightly before taking the white cap back off.

5. sarabeth

sarabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    it is plastic. there is an o ring and it seals just fine. its adding the water before u put the lid back on.

6. TreeFever

TreeFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    MA
    Mine has a little cap to place on the spout so you can fill it up and seal it. You put the waterer where you want and then unscrew the cap and the trough fills up.
    Maybe since yours is second-hand it is missing the cap?
    Try a cork?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by