Soak with some epsom salt for ten minute intervals and slowly wipe away the parts that are soft. Continue doing this until you have cleaned if all off. Use warm water so it doesn't cause hypothermia in the chick. And check your feed. Is there too much protein? Is the brooder too hot? Try and do some detective work

Soak with some epsom salt for ten minute intervals and slowly wipe away the parts that are soft. Continue doing this until you have cleaned if all off. Use warm water so it doesn't cause hypothermia in the chick. And check your feed. Is there too much protein? Is the brooder too hot? Try and do some detective work
Also check the feed for mites. They can cause pasty butt

There is no definitive cause. Pasty butt is just something they get. And no, don’t soak the chick. You should never get it more wet than necessary, just dampen the area.

There is no definitive cause. Pasty butt is just something they get. And no, don’t soak the chick. You should never get it more wet than necessary, just dampen the area.
I meant the butt only. And definitely hold the chick in a towel and make sure it is dry before placing it back. I've had to do this with chicks in the past and I've never had a casualty from it. It's still good to check your feed. It might be from something or it might be a random occurrence

If you have someone to help you, get them to hold the chick while you wipe the vent with a warm (not hot) wet (not dripping) paper towel. If you don't, hold the chick in your non-dominant hand and wipe the vent with your dominant hand. You may also need to use your non-dominant thumb to lift the extra fuzz away from the vent.

Back
Top Bottom