Need help

veteran_and_his_chickens

In the Brooder
May 26, 2024
One out of 11 chickens has a lump on it head that started three weeks ago. Today I notice it's left eye is red and inflamed around it's eyes. I have the chicken separated right now. Any suggestions? Is it cureable? Should I dispatch it?

Attachments

• IMG_8740 (1).jpg
    IMG_8740 (1).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8738.jpg
    IMG_8738.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 7
One out of 11 chickens has a lump on it head that started three weeks ago. Today I notice it's left eye is red and inflamed around it's eyes. I have the chicken separated right now. Any suggestions? Is it cureable? Should I dispatch it?
I have no idea what that is, or what to do.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with helpful ideas about what level of treatment would be able to help, or whether it actually is hopeless.

My own thoughts:
My usual ways to "treat" chicken issues are to leave it alone and watch what happens, or to dispatch the bird. If the bird seems distressed, I would be more inclined to dispatch it. If the bird acts healthy and happy otherwise, I might just keep watching and see what happens.

Given that you've already been watching it for three weeks, and now the eye is red and inflamed, I might lean toward dispatching at this point.

Since I notice you have another thread about ways to save time tending animals each day, I will add: dispatching this chicken will mean you no longer have to tend it separately. If reducing chore time were important to me, and I was otherwise unsure, that might be enough to tip me over to "dispatch the bird." [Edit to add: oops, mixed up usernames. That other thread was not yours.]

But all of that is based on me not knowing anything helpful about the issue, and making guesses about what might or might not work for you. I can't say what is actually the better choice for you to make.

Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

I'm not sure what's going on there, I'll tag in @Eggcessive for her input as well.

Since it's been 3 weeks and now suddenly starting to cause problems, I wonder if it's an abscess or tumor. Have you noticed if the lump has any signs of a wound/peck or insect bite. Have you gotten any ticks off of her?

Looks like even though the lump is on the right side, it's also affecting the left too.
General care for an inflamed eye is to clean/flush with saline, wipe away any pus, crust, etc. then apply an eye ointment in the eye like Terramycin eye ointment. If you don't have Terramycin, then you can use Original Neosporin.

Hopefully someone will recognize what this is.

Is the right side of her head puffy like air or fluid or firm like tissue? It may be a tumor, or it could be a pneumovirus called swollen head syndrome. A respiratory disease might also be something to rule out. I would contact your state vet lab tomorrow morning, and ask about getting a necropsy and diagnosis. You could ask about the details, how to keep and deliver the body, or if they can euthanize as well. What state are you in? Here is a list of most state vet labs to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Is the right side of her head puffy like air or fluid or firm like tissue? It may be a tumor, or it could be a pneumovirus called swollen head syndrome. A respiratory disease might also be something to rule out. I would contact your state vet lab tomorrow morning, and ask about getting a necropsy and diagnosis. You could ask about the details, how to keep and deliver the body, or if they can euthanize as well. What state are you in? Here is a list of most state vet labs to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
The lump feels firm to the touch.

I am leaning towards this being a tumor. How is she doing? Is she eating, drinking, and walking around? Do you have to keep her separate from the others because she is being hurt? You could watch her for awhile, but I think once she appears to be shutting down and suffering, I would put her down. But it would be good to know what was wrong with her.

I am leaning towards this being a tumor. How is she doing? Is she eating, drinking, and walking around? Do you have to keep her separate from the others because she is being hurt? You could watch her for awhile, but I think once she appears to be shutting down and suffering, I would put her down. But it would be good to know what was wrong with her.
She is starting to shut down and having trouble esting... she only pooped 1x in 18 hours.

Back
Top Bottom