1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Need Help:(((

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Coleslaw, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Coleslaw

Coleslaw Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Oceanside, CA
    hello i am raising chickens as a yearlong project at my school and i have chicks but i need to have a chicken coop in 4-6 weeks, but i have no money:( I have put up a craigslist ad asking for donations, but im not getting hyped up for that, so is there anyone who can give me an idea on what to do in my situation:(

THANKS

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    How many chickens and the location would be helpful.

3. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    You could always look for a free large dog house and just put a door on the front to close up at night?!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    M@M@2four :

You could always look for a free large dog house and just put a door on the front to close up at night?!

For two chickens in a mild climate, yes.

We do need a general location and number of chickens to answer.​

5. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    See your principle and ask if she/he can look into funding your woodshop/math classes to design and build a school coop.

6. Coleslaw

Coleslaw Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Oceanside, CA
    I have 5 chicks but ill probably get more;p

7. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Check with local trucking company's and see if they have any discarded wooden shipping crates. Also motorcycle and outdoor motor sports dealers may have wooden shipping crates.

8. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I got some free pallets from our local nursery. Try looking on freecycle or craigslist for pallets. There are links here to help with building a pallet coop. I like the idea about asking for help from the principal and/or shop instructor (do they still have shop or has it been cut with art & PE?)

good luck!

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Please don't. You've been given a lot of good ideas on how to go about finding a no to low cost coop and I hope that you're able to do that. Please get the housing situation taken care of first before adding to your little flock. If you don't you'll be posting on here in a couple more months trying to figure out how to stop feather pulling from overcrowding.

Another place to look for pallets is your local auto parts stores. I work for one and we always have tons of extras, many are in really good shape and some even have 1/2" plywood over the slats.

10. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    The coop is easy to get cheap or free wood for.
    It is the run that is hard.
    Really hard to find free hardware cloth or small hole welded wire fencing.
    5 hens will need at least 50sf of run. So think 5x10 with a top and an apron to prevent digging predators. That is about 65 ft of 60" wide fencing with the apron.

The least expensive way to go is a hoop coop that acts as your run as well as the coop.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by