Need Help:(((

Coleslaw

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
Oceanside, CA
hello i am raising chickens as a yearlong project at my school and i have chicks but i need to have a chicken coop in 4-6 weeks, but i have no money:( I have put up a craigslist ad asking for donations, but im not getting hyped up for that, so is there anyone who can give me an idea on what to do in my situation:(

THANKS

You could always look for a free large dog house and just put a door on the front to close up at night?!

M@M@2four :

You could always look for a free large dog house and just put a door on the front to close up at night?!

For two chickens in a mild climate, yes.

We do need a general location and number of chickens to answer.​

See your principle and ask if she/he can look into funding your woodshop/math classes to design and build a school coop.

Check with local trucking company's and see if they have any discarded wooden shipping crates. Also motorcycle and outdoor motor sports dealers may have wooden shipping crates.

I got some free pallets from our local nursery. Try looking on freecycle or craigslist for pallets. There are links here to help with building a pallet coop. I like the idea about asking for help from the principal and/or shop instructor (do they still have shop or has it been cut with art & PE?)

good luck!

Quote:
Please don't. You've been given a lot of good ideas on how to go about finding a no to low cost coop and I hope that you're able to do that. Please get the housing situation taken care of first before adding to your little flock. If you don't you'll be posting on here in a couple more months trying to figure out how to stop feather pulling from overcrowding.

Another place to look for pallets is your local auto parts stores. I work for one and we always have tons of extras, many are in really good shape and some even have 1/2" plywood over the slats.

The coop is easy to get cheap or free wood for.
It is the run that is hard.
Really hard to find free hardware cloth or small hole welded wire fencing.
5 hens will need at least 50sf of run. So think 5x10 with a top and an apron to prevent digging predators. That is about 65 ft of 60" wide fencing with the apron.

The least expensive way to go is a hoop coop that acts as your run as well as the coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom