1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tiffanyhurd, Sep 8, 2011.

1. tiffanyhurd

tiffanyhurd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I have 4 hens together. 1EE, 1RIR, 2 Golden stars and also a black Silkie roo who is 6 weeks. We just found out this weekend that he is a roo! Will he be ok in with the girs or should I get 1 or 2 more silkie hens to put in with him so he's not fully ganged up on. I can't seem to find him a new home and i'm not going to kill him. The other problem is I do not want baby chicks at this time. How do I do this? Really could use some advice. Thank you

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    He will be fine in there with the girls. He will make a good husband for his harem. If you plan on collecting eggs then no chicks will hatch. If you have a hen go broody, replace her eggs with artificial ones.

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    If you don't want baby chicks getting a silkie hen would be a DISASTER silkies spend their life very intent on making more silkies. [​IMG]

4. tiffanyhurd

tiffanyhurd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Thank you so much! Good to know, no silkie hens!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The rooster will be fine. Eggs do not miraculously turn into chicks. They have to be incubated.

6. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:X 100! LOL Oh my they sure do! My head silkie roo loves his standard hens so yours should do fine. Once in awhile my head Turken girl will put him in his place though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by