Need Help

sukr4chkns

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Hi all. In April we bought our very first chickens, 8 of them in fact. They were supposed to all be hens. At the time we bought them, they were said to be 4-5 months old. One died from an illness, but the others have been doing great. The whole time we have assumed that they were hens, but last week when I went to let them out of the coop to free range, I was shocked to hear the largest of the group crowing like a rooster. It has done this every morning since and it has become aggressive towards a few of the other chickens. I have 3 BO and 2 RIR along with 2 Silkie mix. I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me by looking at some pictures of these birds if they are roosters or hens.

I would not have suspected the crowing one to be a rooster. My other RIR looks more like a rooster to me and I always thought it was.

Can any of you tell by these pictures whether or not I have hens or roosters? Thanks in advance.

Here are a few pics of the RIR that has been crowing:
P5272897.jpg

P5272889.jpg

P5272883.jpg

Here is the one I suspect is a rooster. Not the best pictures......sorry
P5272880.jpg

P5272881.jpg

Here are a few of the BO's:
P5272890.jpg

P5272893.jpg

P5272887.jpg

I haven't taken a look at the pictures yet because copy and paste takes a while, but there's a little icon above the text typing box with a picture of a landscape. Click on it and you can upload pics to Backyard Chickens directly from your computer, so you don't have to use photobucket!
smile.png
Makes it easier on you for sure. :)

Yeah Chicken 1 and Chicken 2 both look like roosters to me. Your BOs all seem to be hens. You can usually tell by the saddle feathers of a chicken whether they're male or female. At a certain age the roosters will develop pointy droopy feathers by their tail, whereas the female's have round, straight feathers near the tail. I don't know if this is true for all breeds, but it has helped me with mine.

Saddle feathers on rooster: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PDgdYJHpwQQ/SwWBuLI2YRI/AAAAAAAAAB0/0h9oRr1YbvA/s1600/IMG_1255.JPG

Back
Top Bottom