need help

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by deb gerrard, Dec 19, 2013.

1. deb gerrard

deb gerrard New Egg

Dec 19, 2013
    Hi im new to thisBackyard chickens. My question... I free-range my 2 chickens and 3 ducks all day long , and till recently I had no trouble getting them in the pen at night, a little shake of the dish ect. Now the little buggers do not want to go to bed, I tend to there shack daily with new bedding and clean water, and food at night , but no go! .they share the paddock with 2 small mini horses, who are fed at the same time to get them out of the way. can some one help. It is a full moon at present .... maybe that's it..... Deb

2. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    For some reason they feel safer and more comfortable elsewhere...I don't think the full moon has anything to do with it. I have christmas lights around my run to provide extra light hours, but the flock is in the coop at the same time as before the lights. Take a closer look at the coop and look for ways to change it up so the birds feel safer on the inside than the outside.

3. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Do a pest/predator check too. Might be scurries in the night that are disturbing them. I thought about borrowing a game camera to see if anything is checking around my coops at night although I've only seen a lost hunting dog lately. Hope you find the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by