1. lisadevries

lisadevries New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    My pet chicken Doris over 5 years old died last night. She was find the day before, then yesterday morning she just wanted to sleep all puffed up She was having a milky yellow pooh, clear mucus in her mouth. I took her in the house and put her in a box and she just slept then last night she started to move around but couldn't stand up. I lifted her up and held her and she acted like she was having a stroke and then died. Two days before, my organic food didn't come in and I had to get the other companies organic feed, I feed all the chickens meal worms (fresh). She was just fine. Please help me I can't find any help and she was very special to me. I also don't know if I should do anything for my other chickens.

Also does garlic in the chickens water help? I have been putting a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in their water for the past several months.

Thank you so much for your help,

Lisa

2. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts to lose one that is very special.
    What have you done with Doris's body. ? I know this sounds terrible but you probably need to do a nucropsy or if the facilities are available contact a University to see if they can do it. If you still have her body wrap it and put it in the freezer. They can't nucropsy a bird if it has not been frozen and is dead after X number of hours. Don't know the exact time. I am sure no expert but I don't think feed had anything to do with Drois passing away. You may have the beginnings of a serious disease in your flock. Doris was a bit old (I think) to have Mareks. Have any new birds come in lately ? Also suggest you may want to get on the internet and start researching. Just put in a few key words like you did in your post. There are 100 's of helpful web sites. If memory serves University of Michigan has a good poultry web site. You may also contact your (a) Vet and ask for suggestions for research. Sure can't tell you about the garlic but that is aonther thing you might want to "Google" . Best wishes, I hope this is the last chicken you have to loose. Have you wormed your birds ? not just Wazene for round worms but a more thorough wormer like Safeguard.? If you are feeding organic feed I am going to asume you don't want to use chemicals. I don't either but I think there is a balance we sometimes must bend to. Good luck !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by