Need help

chickenman620

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
I want to turn one of my chicken coops into to a turkey house.... I was wondering can they catch disease from being in there even after the chickens are gone. Also how many square feet per bird and obviously there not gonna fit in the nest boxes so what could i set up inside for a nest spot .... Which breeds are good for eggs and still taste decent ?

Size of coop? Quality of drainage from potential turkey run?

Bourbon Reds/Narragansett's/Slates are three varieties to consider.

Surest way to determine potential for disease transmission is to have vet perform a fecal on chook droppings (particularly for cecal eggs/"worms").

Last edited:
I want to turn one of my chicken coops into to a turkey house.... I was wondering can they catch disease from being in there even after the chickens are gone. Also how many square feet per bird and obviously there not gonna fit in the nest boxes so what could i set up inside for a nest spot .... Which breeds are good for eggs and still taste decent ?
If you clean the coop really good, you wont have any problems. I raise Narragansett (for show), but I just let them go in the same coop as the chickens (some States have a harder time with disease spreading from chicken to turkeys then Ohio). A dog box makes a great nest box for turkeys. Turkeys only lay for like 4-5 months a year, so if you want eggs year round the chickens would be the best way to go.

Back
Top Bottom