Need hugs - my dog got into the coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by K7 Menagerie, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ChickieWhickie

ChickieWhickie Songster

May 28, 2008
    Western KY
    So sorry about your loss. I hope, you find your other little one. They can hide real well.

I understand how you feel. My husky got a few of my ducks, chickens and a baby goat. DH made me get rid of her. I still miss them all. But a very nice lady got Cheyanne. She walks her everyday through town. Cheyanne is an inside dog now too.

I've lost a few other chickens to other dogs. My neighbors now try to keep their dogs at home.

2. 2manyhats

2manyhats Songster

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:I just lost a turkey poult to one of my dogs on Thursday. She too is obsessed. It's hard because you love both animals and they are just not all compatible. I just have to do a better job of protecting the poultry from Amber. The good news is that if you can protect them from your own dogs, it's not likely that a wild canine will get to them either.

So sorry for your loss. I truly understand.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Im so sorry about your lost one. Its hard when the dogs we love....do something like this. Just remember...you still love the dog...maybe just dont like it much now. [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Awwwww, I feel your pain.....My dog got into my coop last week and killed a barred rock chick and a silkie (my fav silkie) I was so mad at her, I wouldnt talk to her for like 3 days (she hates when we dont talk to her) Its was so sad !!!!! I'm so sorry for you !!!!!!!

[​IMG] :aww [​IMG] :aww [​IMG] :aww [​IMG] :aww

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I am so sorry for your loss :aww [​IMG]

6. New2Peeps

New2Peeps Songster

May 11, 2008
    Indiana
    That is so sad to hear [​IMG] I have a little dachshund who is just determined she will eat my chickens the first chance she gets--she is just an accident waiting to happen. Some dogs are just wired with that predator instinct. I sure hope you find your missing baby [​IMG]

7. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Lost 18 the last week of Aug to the neighbors dog. Even with an electric fence.

Man I know how you feel. Hang in there. :aww [​IMG]

8. rroven

rroven Songster

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    Feeling your pain. Lost nine last week to the neighbor's dog. It really sucked.

9. farmer's wife

farmer's wife In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    My condolences.
    My dog attacked my Barred Rock and tore her skin with feathers attached from her head to her tail feathers, the other BR that was attacked had to be disposed of humanely because her throat was ripped. Dog is now on a run, CT has recovered, and after 3 months is laying again. She 's a survivor. This is the 3rd time she has faced death threats and lived. Love that chicken ![​IMG]

10. K7 Menagerie

K7 Menagerie Songster

May 6, 2008
    Bend, OR
    Thank you all for your kind words and e-hugs. Unfortunately, we have not found our missing chicken. We have found several tufts of feathers that lead me to believe that she was at least wounded, if not killed. We just haven't found anything else......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: