1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need idea for cheap and large brooder.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Theeggboxtoo, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    I need an idea for a cheap and large brooder that will fit 45 chicks for at least a month. 25 of the chicks are broilers but they will be moved out sooner. [​IMG] Please Help!

2. Ivy061

Ivy061 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    You could get a large baby pool but eventually they will be able to fly over the edge so I would recommend putting something like netting over the top.

3. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Call around to appliance places and ask them to save you a refrigerator box. 45 chicks for a month would be very crowded in a baby pool, unless they are bantams. I had an old 4 drawer dresser that I laid on it's back, knocked the partitions out of and fenced with wire. There were 8 chicks in there and they got crowded pretty fast.

Best of luck with the new chicks! [​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Or a big cardboard box. Sometimes grocery stores will give away their melon boxes. Line the bottom with a sheet of plastic or some trash bags and then cover that with bedding.

6. Oktober

Oktober Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Quote:Very cool - thanks for sharing.

-Okt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by