Need ideas - compost / DIY related

I haven't actually tested myself, but, the internet ( .edu sites) states that it is ideal by it's self.

This Link
" 1) A carbon-to-nitrogen (C:N) ratio between 15:1 and 40:1. Horse manure itself has a C:N ratio of 30:1"

This Link
"The ideal C/N ratio for composting is generally considered to be around 30:1, or 30 parts carbon for each part nitrogen by weight."

I only have them in a run in shed with a dirt floor and minimal hay wasted due to small hole hay net. I COULD add some sawdust from my cat litter boxes, but that would be urine soaked so not sure what it's C:N ratio would be and what it would do to the general ratio.

Definitely a no on any cat litter added (sawdust or not) the ammonia is WAY to high.

Leaves, yard cuttings and spent garden plants are good to add though.

I have done the pallets as frames myself and found it effective and sturdy.

Any way to fence the horses out of the compost area?

Agree with the “no” on dog/cat waste. Too much chance of pathogen contamination.

If the college kids are saying it’s the right ratio, it’s worth a try. Most manures are nitrogen heavy, but maybe horse manure is less so due to their feedstock and digestive system.

The good news is that a compost pile provides feedback - if it doesn’t break down at a reasonable rate, add nitrogen. If it gets slimy or really stinks, add carbon. Shredded cardboard and paper make good carbon additions in a pinch.

I’ve made compost rings from welded wire fence with good success. My primary pile is 14’ x 7’ and made of pallets. That setup is in the chicken run. I have a couple rings I use for stuff I avoid putting in the chicken pile (coffee/tea, onions, avocado, etc).

Definitely a no on any cat litter added (sawdust or not) the ammonia is WAY to high.
But, Ammonia breaks down to nitrogen, so how can it be too high when adding it to sawdust which is ALL carbon?

Agree with the “no” on dog/cat waste. Too much chance of pathogen contamination.
I'm already using the sawdust as mulch around the beds to smother out the grass. I'm not too worried about pathogens from the cats who live indoors and don't have any parasites when I'm going to be using manure from the horses who live outside and don't get wormed very often. Plus, cat urine can't be worse than human feces and those are good to go after composting for 1 year with no turning.

My bad....it is the bacteria and using near food crops.

https://www.thespruce.com/composting-cat-or-dog-waste-2539613
That is only for the feces, those aren't in the sawdust. I use pine pellets for litter, they use it, any pellets that get wet turn into sawdust and are removed, the feces are removed separately and at this point trashed. I don't see how cat waste would be any worse than human though and human is fine to use on food crops once composted.

There is actually a product called Milorganite which is (depending on who you ask) human sewage, or the bacteria that lives in human sewage. This is packaged as fertilizer and shipped all over the country for lawn and garden fertilizer. Article about it
Their actual website stating it is fine on gardens.

That is only for the feces, those aren't in the sawdust. I use pine pellets for litter, they use it, any pellets that get wet turn into sawdust and are removed, the feces are removed separately and at this point trashed. I don't see how cat waste would be any worse than human though and human is fine to use on food crops once composted.

There is actually a product called Milorganite which is (depending on who you ask) human sewage, or the bacteria that lives in human sewage. This is packaged as fertilizer and shipped all over the country for lawn and garden fertilizer. Article about it
Their actual website stating it is fine on gardens.

I think I will stick with growing as much of my own as I can. 🤢
To many reports/recalls of listeria and other nasty things going on with our food.

I use composted garden plants and chicken manure.

I think I will stick with growing as much of my own as I can. 🤢
To many reports/recalls of listeria and other nasty things going on with our food.

I use composted garden plants and chicken manure.
My understanding is that the listeria issues are mostly from leafy greens which are close to the ground, when they water or it rains the soil tends to splash up which will coat the plants in whatever they are growing in (soil, fertilizer, compost, etc) unless they are mulched. I seriously doubt that any of the big commercial growers mulch their fields of lettuce.

I'm not going to grow anything close to the ground in fresh manure of any sort, and really, there is nothing keeping the foxes, raccoons, barn cats, etc from pooping in my garden and putting fresh manure in there, but my entire property was once a dairy farm, there is a good chance that every inch of soil has been pooped on at some point and not properly composted...

My understanding is that the listeria issues are mostly from leafy greens which are close to the ground, when they water or it rains the soil tends to splash up which will coat the plants in whatever they are growing in (soil, fertilizer, compost, etc) unless they are mulched. I seriously doubt that any of the big commercial growers mulch their fields of lettuce.

I'm not going to grow anything close to the ground in fresh manure of any sort, and really, there is nothing keeping the foxes, raccoons, barn cats, etc from pooping in my garden and putting fresh manure in there, but my entire property was once a dairy farm, there is a good chance that every inch of soil has been pooped on at some point and not properly composted...

I forget what the peaches were recalled for but it was a pathogen of some sort. I do recall I had bought about 10 of them, ate 2 raw and made pie.

Pretty sure dairy manure on the ground would have had enough ground contact and rain/snow over the years to have naturally decomposed enough to not pose a problem.

i have heard of it happening. As said the N2/C ratio is about right. I have a few goats and use the manure directly in the garden in the fall and it works well for me. I just have to dig the years accumulation out of the barn.Also use it again in yhe spring but till it into the row before planting. Mind that this has, for the most part, been in the barn for a while so I call it aged manure (It does not get enough water to compost. Still has hay in it when I dig it up) and not fresh.One thing I would be aware of is weeds come spring if tilled in in the fall. Horses pass a lot of seeds through and if does not get hot enough to kill the seeds they will still be viable.

I’ve had piles of straight horse manure before and they were absolutely chock full of worms! The good kind I think. Even though it didn’t officially compost, being turned into worm castings is a pretty worthy endeavor. I couldn’t say whether the biomass was infested with nasty pathogens or not.
I had one lovely pile I tended all winter. Scraped horse and cow poop and had visions of spreading it and how much it would improve my garden. One day I went out to feed and it was gone!!! I laugh about it now but I was just crushed! And pissed! Really really pissed! :lau

Back
Top Bottom