Need ideas dealing with killer owl.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nefertiti, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    Central Virginia
    We've suffered several unexplained loses ,until Sunday night. My husband went out to check on ruckus in yard and came with a headles chicken, and a rather large owl. We took some picures of it ( it was, in fact, quite gorgeous) and then let it go because we were unsure of it's breed, and had no idea what else to do with it. It seems to me we should probably expect him to come back for some more "Free Meals" seeing how he's found this little place called my yard.....

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Your best bet to protect your birds from the night time and day time predators is a safe place for them to hang out.
    All birds of prey are protected by law, at least in the states, so it was good that you let Hootie go.

3. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    You can run twine across holes in whatever they stay in, or for a little more, patch it up with wood. If there's no coop, i'd build one.

4. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    Central Virginia
    We have a coop, and several smaller runs (for broody hens, roosters and such) and a yard for the tukeys . Laying pullets and hens usually are 'in coop' , young chicks and extra roos in respective runs. Everthing has died back so much we let birds out of the pens more often so they can get some extra green. Matthew, our dog, does an excellent job of keeping strays and the coyotes away from the animals. We've had to deal with hawks ever since we started raising chickens, but this was my first contact with an owl.

5. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nefertiti, can you post some pics of the owl? I'd like to see it. :)

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Me too! Sorry for your loss BTW.[​IMG]

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    You can count on the Owl coming back and they will kill more than one bird a time. If they get a hen and the Rooster trys to intervene they will kill him then go back to the hen to eat the head and maybe a little further down. Cover all your pens is what I have decided I have to do. I have most completely covered but they have killed some very good chickens of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by