Need ideas for indoor pens

Those are huge! But I think those'll work fine in lieu of puppy pads. As for the diapers we still gotta use feminine hygiene pads since they're just so tiny. Man, I'm getting some great tips today, you're the best, Lynn!

No problem! Just passing knowledge around helping other duck lovers! They are huge but you must think, two maybe three will cover the bottom of your enclosure and if you can keep pine shavings on it as well, depending on how much they poop you may can keep the pads for days at a time.

I am purchasing my pet carrier within a matter of moments. So excited to try it out and give them way more room when inside for the night!

I know how expensive feminine products are! Can you cut them in half? Now you can help me with my questions about diapeys!

SOLD! OMG I'm gonna show these links to my hubby right now! Do you guys line 'em with anything like puppy pads or shavings? Or just old towels?
I should have read from the beginning of this thread about what you're wanting to do. Puppy pads seem like a great idea since they have an absorbent front and plastic backing, but I abandoned that idea in about three days. They come apart easily since they aren't designed for the amount of water in duck enclosures, and the fibers in them become stringy very quickly. My ducklings pecked and pulled at them relentlessly, and I saw very quickly that they're a serious choking hazard.

You also don't want to use towels unless you either want to be doing nail trimming every week or so, or you use unlooped towels. Even the latter isn't ideal because they pull them into little bunches walking around on them and pulling at them, so you can end up with a each towel in a pile instead of spread out like you like it.

If you want something designed for animals and don't want the cheap wire that typically comes with them, you can replace that with half inch hardware cloth if you're going to elevate the wire bottom for dropping to fall through, or quarter inch if you don't care about that part.

I think that playpen looks like a great thing if you put down some substrate to keep them from slipping around on the plastic. I'm thinking that's your best bet since this is strictly an indoor enclosure.

Honestly, the adult diaper pads for incontinence are cheaper. I am not sure where you are located but this is what I would purchase from a store in my area. Comes out to about 36 cent per underpad. 
http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11895788

I am an avid money saver and shop A LOT online. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-Pads-Ad...966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2d497a5e
This comes out to right around 15 cent per underpad and is practically the same size. 18 < 300;15cent >36cent ;)  

I figure I'm buying rather cheap incontinence pads so combined with pine chips maybe not spread on the entire bottom but maybe half, will do the trick. 
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...co-flake-premium-pine-shavings-covers-8-cu-ft
They last me about a month and Tractor Supply did this awesome sale last time I bought them, 2 for $10!

I use re washable human bed pads for my dogs. They wash up really well. I use the sanitize cycle and oxyclean free. I dispose of the solids before I wash them.

They were about $8 each and they've lasted two years with daily use. They come in variable sizes too.

Here's a link to them. The price varies by size and manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/NorthShore-Ch...=1438344307&sr=8-3&keywords=reusable+bed+pads

Last edited:
I use re washable human bed pads for my dogs. They wash up really well. I use the sanitize cycle and oxyclean free. I dispose of the solids before I wash them.

They were about $8 each and they've lasted two years with daily use. They come in variable sizes too.

Hey now that's pretty good! Only thing I would be worried about is the duck poop is sometimes watery. I'm not sure if I would like that in my washer.
sickbyc.gif

For the worst messes I hose off first with the water hose, let them dry & plop them in the washing machine with oxyclean free.

I run the tub sanitize cycle when im through with animal laundry.

My gardening chore clothes get gross & yucky too so I wasn't as bothered by washing the pee pads in there.

One day I'll get a second washing machine to use just for animal laundry & chore clothes.

For the worst messes I hose off first with the water hose, let them dry & plop them in the washing machine with oxyclean free.

I run the tub sanitize cycle when im through with animal laundry.

My gardening chore clothes get gross & yucky too so I wasn't as bothered by washing the pee pads in there.

One day I'll get a second washing machine to use just for animal laundry & chore clothes.

Very good, thank you for the advice. Where did you purchase these?

I bought the washable pee pads on amazon. They look like these :http://www.amazon.com/NorthShore-Ch...=1438344307&sr=8-3&keywords=reusable+bed+pads

Re-usable actual puppy pads are available too. But i got the larger ones for a small dog that had to have surgery.

I haven't used the actual reusable puppy pads. I've been happy with the human bed pads. Liquids don't soak through them.

They're also very sturdy. I wash them in hot water many times a week and they dont show a bit of wear or performance loss.

PS- You can probably find them at a local hospital supply company, too.

Last edited:
I bought the washable pee pads on amazon. They look like these :http://www.amazon.com/NorthShore-Ch...=1438344307&sr=8-3&keywords=reusable+bed+pads

Re-usable actual puppy pads are available too. But i got the larger ones for a small dog that had to have surgery.

I haven't used the actual reusable puppy pads. I've been happy with the human bed pads. Liquids don't soak through them.

They're also very sturdy. I wash them in hot water many times a week and they dont show a bit of wear or performance loss.

PS- You can probably find them at a local hospital supply company, too.

Awesome, thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom