Need ideas on electric wire around coop

Silkiemom2

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
Im buying a charger that uses 2 D battiers.I have a 10'x10' dog run.How would i run the electric wiring around the bottom and top..pics would help ,please give me some ideas..I will have netting over the top of it.

I used lengths of PVC pipe (schedule 40) or plastic electrical conduit pipes that were cut into 18-20 inch lengths. I cut one end of the pieces at an angle that allowed me to hammer the pipes into the ground at 4-6ft intervals. I then drilled horizontal holes in the pipes (that were standing vertically) at 3" and 12" above the ground. I threaded aluminum wire through the holes so that I had one strand of wire at 3" above the ground and one at 12". I connected the wires at one point with another strand of aluminum wire so that current could flow through both wires. I connected the fence controller (or charger) positive terminal to the wire and the negative terminal to the ground. (I used a solid copper rod (in the electrical section of Home Depot or Lowes). It would be best if you used a fence controller that plugs into your household current to obviate the need to keep changing batteries.
This arrangement will guard against any critter trying to tunnel under your fence or climb over it.

Get some "stand-off" insulators made for chain link fencing.

I'd run the wire across the bottom at about 6", then up and back across at about 18" and a third one near the top.

You'll probably find though, you will need a MUCH stonger charger to work well.
The best would be one that runs on house current, since those batteries won't hold up long, especially in COLD weather

Last edited:
Yep, you won't be happy with the D cell fence. Farm supply stores have the twist in stand offs for wire that you just twist into the squares of the chain link. 6 inches from the ground and close to the top rail. Just weave it around, don't worry about the verticals they will be ok. Jim

I bought step in posts and strung polywire, attached to a "1 acre" plug-in charger, plugged in using an outdoor use extension cord to the outdoor outlet on the house. When we move the girls' houses to connect to a run I have the same size as yours (just deciding how to create openings in the chain link so the coops don't have to be inside using up run space) I will use a combination of the posts and the stand-off insulators made for chain link. Posts will go around the coops. I hate cutting holes in chain link but the space is more important.

I bought step in posts and strung polywire, attached to a "1 acre" plug-in charger, plugged in using an outdoor use extension cord to the outdoor outlet on the house.  When we move the girls' houses to connect to a run I have the same size as yours (just deciding how to create openings in the chain link so the coops don't have to be inside using up run space) I will use a combination of the posts and the stand-off insulators made for chain link.  Posts will go around the coops.  I hate cutting holes in chain link but the space is more important.

Back
Top Bottom