Need ideas on getting chickens to the garden

Quote:
I have 16

Yes. About 1/2 my hens love me and want to follow me. the other half could care less about me, and a few of them even the other chickens. I dont mind carrying the each over in the dog crate...It will just suck if I have to do that every day.

Also if I carry them over do you think they will realize where they are and return to the lit coop at night (with guidance)?

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok.

Do you think I should just give it a go? Would you do anything for procautionary measures?

For the first time...would you carry some (maybe even 1/2 of them) and then try to get the others to follow...or would you just give it a go with ah lot of treats in hand?

This weekend will probably be TEAR UP THE GARDEN WEEKEND for my chickens.
I simply open the gate and they usually find their way in and out.
I am assuming you want to do it for the same reason I do. Bug control, ariation and no need to waste all the other edibles in there.
I would just put a half dozen in there each day and let them have fun. It will be a much easier number to handle.

Do you have a Rooster? If you put him and a few girls in the garden and he finds some goodies he will call most of the girls for you. That is how I get my girls to try a new place.......Then when it starts to get dark they all go back to the coop........

i sometimes us a big leaf rake to "herd" them along. Once one gets going, they usually all follow along. I guarantee that once you get them there one time, you won' have any more problems with them.

Big Red's Mom :

Do you have a Rooster? If you put him and a few girls in the garden and he finds some goodies he will call most of the girls for you. That is how I get my girls to try a new place.......Then when it starts to get dark they all go back to the coop........

I dont have a roo. : (
When it gets toward dusk should i just open the fence and see if the make it back to the coop?

Another question (sorry for all the questions)

My only concern is that the coop is a good bit away and the entrance that they use faces away from the garden (on the side of the barn and is not in direct light of sight from the garden. Do you think they will figure out how to get back into there, especially if i carry them out? Also, If I open the door for them to get in, everyone can get out.

(I think i am getting to over analytical about this, i just don't want to lose any and there is LOTS of room for them to head of in any which way)​

Quote:
i can get my older hens to go where i want just by walking behind them with my hands stretched out and just walking. makes me look bigger and scarrier i guess.

the rest just follow me wherever i go if i have a feed cup in my hand.

Back
Top Bottom