Need Ideas on Upgrading a Historic Coop!

As far as the coin op feeder, does that hold scratch or feed? If it's scratch, one change that would be at least healthier for the birds would be to swap to pelleted feed. Kids could still feed the birds but it'd just be throwing regular food at them.
I like this idea with the pellet feed in the feeder. Perhaps if it's a different brand than their regular feed, it would make it more enticing/exciting for them?

Is the food left out at night? Another way to reduce rodents would be to do a treadle feeder. A wooden one like this could look nice in the setting.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/building-a-treadle-chicken-feeder.47900/

Personally, I think the metal feeders/waterers look better than the plastic ones if you're looking to keep the atmosphere of the time. That may not always be practical, though.

I like this idea with the pellet feed in the feeder. Perhaps if it's a different brand than their regular feed, it would make it more enticing/exciting for them?

Is the food left out at night? Another way to reduce rodents would be to do a treadle feeder. A wooden one like this could look nice in the setting.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/building-a-treadle-chicken-feeder.47900/

Personally, I think the metal feeders/waterers look better than the plastic ones if you're looking to keep the atmosphere of the time. That may not always be practical, though.
The feeder has mostly their normal layer feed with a bit of scratch mixed in. I could ask about getting a different brand of layer feed in the feeder to make it more exciting, not a bad idea.

The food is never left out at night, it is put away into metal trashcans in the coop. I will see what they think about a treadle feeder, I've always wanted to try one!

We used to have metal waterers, but unfortunately they kept getting rusty and turning the water orange quickly. We are slowly switching to plastic waterers because they are easier to clean and wont put rust in their water. I agree that they don't look as nice though.

You can get rubber stall mats and put them on top of the concrete floor under the bedding. They add to a softer landing for those larger hens, and will be unseen under the bedding.
Most heritage breeds were not as huge as modern show type Brahmas, for example.
I agree that most roost bars should be smaller in diameter, more like 2" to 3", although some birds do like the larger ones too. It's about location and flock dynamics more than individual roost sizes.
Metal feeders would look better, agree.
Really nice coop!
Mary

The feeder has mostly their normal layer feed with a bit of scratch mixed in. I could ask about getting a different brand of layer feed in the feeder to make it more exciting, not a bad idea.

The food is never left out at night, it is put away into metal trashcans in the coop. I will see what they think about a treadle feeder, I've always wanted to try one!

We used to have metal waterers, but unfortunately they kept getting rusty and turning the water orange quickly. We are slowly switching to plastic waterers because they are easier to clean and wont put rust in their water. I agree that they don't look as nice though.
Does the park have an old pottery making section?
http://www.lakesidepottery.com/Pages/Pottery-tips/Making-chicken-poultry-waterer-tutorial-lesson.htm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114860370643
https://www.etsy.com/listing/804796963/ceramic-chicken-waterer

Chick on the My Coop link under my avatar and it will take you to my coop build article. Everything I mentioned can be found there along with lots of pictures.
Oh! I just read through the building of this coop linked by another poster. Very nice!
I guess I was hoping you had a roost setup something like the one you were suggesting to me in your earlier reply, I was having trouble visualizing what you meant.

I saw that you also asked how long the wall is that the roost is on, and it is 13.5', though some of the nesting boxes stick out into that space about a foot and a half from the adjacent wall.

I guess I was hoping you had a roost setup something like the one you were suggesting to me in your earlier reply, I was having trouble visualizing what you meant.
I do.
In looking at the layout of the current coop you have to work with, I would remove the nest boxes from the wall, put an L-shaped poop board and roost in that corner and then mount the nest boxes under the poop board up near the front so that it's easy to collect the eggs.

Thanks for additional photos. Ventilation looks better than I expected. I would see about obtaining smaller branches for the roost though (assuming they want to maintain the look), 2-3" diameter.

I like the idea of putting in some sort of stall mats/padding (didn't realize it was concrete down there) to cushion against birds coming off the roost bars. Might not be historically accurate but easy to cover it up with bedding so you still get the benefit while it still looks the same.

Back
Top Bottom