Need immediate advice

ksavageclarke

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 4, 2012
I have a 12 week male Khaki Campbell drake who can't seem to walk. We went to get them out of the pond and put them up for the night and he just walks on one foot and flaps a wing. We caught him and he is in a cage in the house as storms were expected/ are ongoing. He does not seem to be in pain, but does not use the leg. There are cuts on the "knee" and a bit of a rubbed spot at the feather line. I am concerned it is either a break or dislocation and can't afford the vet. If he does not improve he will end up dinner. I don't want to see him suffer. Is there anything I can do to help him? I would rather keep him for my Khaki ladies than eat him.

I have not experienced this exact thing with any of my ducks, but I know from reading other threads that people have treated dislocations and breaks with splints. You might try the search box. I expect that by tomorrow, you should get more responses from other more experienced duck keepers than myself, too.
In the meantime, I'd set your drake up in a quiet, comfortable spot by himself or with just one friend (for comfort) with food and water. A warm bath in your sink might help him too.
I hope things get better really quick for you and your drake. Please post updates.

Thanks for the support we will get one of his buddies for a roomie and try the bath although he is not used to being handled.

When you handle him, cradle your arm with his legs dangling on either side, and his head tucked between your side and elbow area. He will probably be calmer that way. Years ago I had a duck that had a broken leg caused by a Canada Goose attack and I used tongue depressors and surgical tape on him. Since it sounds like he has some open wound areas, Tape around the depressors or craft popsicle sticks where you can still access them to apply Neosporin or the generic version to those areas. Warm water treatments are a good idea as a soak for the leg as suggested above. Ducks are pretty resilient, just give him time. I paid so much attention to my duck while he was convalescing that he did not want to live outside anymore. Probably what I get for spoiling him and feeding him grapes! LOL! A roomie is a good idea as long as they don't mess with his splint. If you have a nice plastic tub or box, you can put hay or flake shavings in it or even old towels you can throw in the wash to keep clean for a bed. As long as the fracture is not open(the bone visibly protruding from the skin), this should work just fine. Keep an eye on the leg for swelling and a hot feeling (infection). If so, antibiotic, probiotic and vitamins and electrolytes can be recommended. A bad sprain, fracture or bang up will still sometimes swell because of the trauma, in either of those instances the splint works well. When he is sick of the splint you will know it. Talk to him and keep him company if you are able. They really appreciate the help we give them when they don't feel good, and you will have a friend for life. I hope this info helps.

Back
Top Bottom