Need Info for my Broody Hen

Myheartsezyes

Chirping
May 1, 2021
It was her first time being broody and it was making them all crazy so i ordered her some fertile eggs that will be here tomorrow . Today it seems she is out of her broody witchy self in time for Halloween. She laid a egg this afternoon . will she sit on these eggs or do i have to go buy a incubator asap ?

It sounds like you'll be in need of an incubator. First time broodies can be fickle!

I've had one young hen decide she was broody for the first time only after another hen started hatching chicks. She would try to steal the chicks having not sat at all! I took the chicks inside to brood myself because they were bantam chicks and I was afraid this big girl would squash them in her attempts to kidnap them.

Now my big girl is sitting and stealing eggs at every opportunity. I do have some eggs in my incubator due to hatch in about 9 days so if she's still broody I might try and give her some chicks, but whether she will look after them remains to be seen.

If she's not broody any more then she won't sit on them at least not long enough to hatch them. Right now there's two broody hens here. However one seems to not be as determined to hatch anything as the other who has not gotten of the eggs hardly ever. The other one just walks around all fluffed up in the yard. IV only ever had a few hens go broody they all act a little differently but not to much.

If your hen is finished being broody an U want to hatch the eggs yea use an incubator, a decent one as cheap ones don't seem to do the job. Or just wait till someone else get broody.

Are you sure she was truly broody?
Was she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

You could hatch the eggs in an incubator, if you have the space and inclination to integrate chicks into the flock this late in the season(depending on if you are in the northern hemisphere)?

Are you sure she was truly broody?
Was she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

You could hatch the eggs in an incubator, if you have the space and inclination to integrate chicks into the flock this late in the season(depending on if you are in the northern hemisphere)?

Yes she was but too all question . The eggs will be here tomorrow so I will have to go get a incubator . This was all planned out they are going to a friend who has free range chickens . we Are in Florida although it is 55 tonight little chilly . Thank you Incubator it is

If she's not broody any more then she won't sit on them at least not long enough to hatch them. Right now there's two broody hens here. However one seems to not be as determined to hatch anything as the other who has not gotten of the eggs hardly ever. The other one just walks around all fluffed up in the yard. IV only ever had a few hens go broody they all act a little differently but not to much.

If your hen is finished being broody an U want to hatch the eggs yea use an incubator, a decent one as cheap ones don't seem to do the job. Or just wait till someone else get broody.
Thank you I guess I better get looking 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom