Need info on American buff geese

You can tell by the ruff on the neck which starts developing early, the females have a much smaller neck and are lighter in color, and have a darker buff stripe down the back of the neck. The males have a larger neck and solid tone, otherwise you can take them to a vet who works with avian, and they can tell.

Here they are greeting me as soon as I get home from work <3

I love <3 my geese! We bought two fully grown last Memorial Day. They were very stand-offish/or aggressive at first, I started regretting to get them. Then one day, after a couple of weeks, I realized the goose was coming toward me for attention! She loves to have her neck scratched and to be petted. She will actually come when we call her- they will literally run to us (honking and flapping) especially when we squat down and clap :)
I haven't found any eggs though. :( I was hoping to find some soon because I would love for them to hatch some goslings. We've had them for almost a full year now and I wonder if she's laid somewhere I just haven't found yet??

Last edited:

Here they are greeting me as soon as I get home from work <3

I love <3 my geese! We bought two fully grown last Memorial Day. They were very stand-offish/or aggressive at first, I started regretting to get them. Then one day, after a couple of weeks, I realized the goose was coming toward me for attention! She loves to have her neck scratched and to be petted. She will actually come when we call her- they will literally run to us (honking and flapping) especially when we squat down and clap
smile.png

I haven't found any eggs though.
sad.png
I was hoping to find some soon because I would love for them to hatch some goslings. We've had them for almost a full year now and I wonder if she's laid somewhere I just haven't found yet??
Do they have a house they sleep in? you could make it a good place to lay just by laying a scrap board and attaching up against a wall. they just need something to feel like a nest. mine haven't been picky about my idea of privacy but it does keep them laying inside. if they are full gorwn I'd say you need to go on an egg hunt. lol Buffs are so precious wish I had more than the one. Are you sure you have any females?

Hello, new to goosing and such. Was bullied by Dad's gander 40 years ago. We picked up 4 American Buffs 3 weeks ago. About the size of a kids fist then, now a foot ball with neckssssss. We are spoiling them as much as we can, walks around the property, getting to know our very large and mild dog, clover, dandelions and so on. We were told not to let them into water until they are fully fledged since they have no feather oil and will get water logged and sink or sicken. They have lots of feathers, but not 100 % yet. We let them muck about in the dog's water dish on a warm afternoon, then into the pen with the heat lamp. So far lots of funny clumsiness and laughter, no sickness. They eat and **** like hell on wheels.

Can we let them try swimming yet? Heads not yet feathered over and wings not yet grown out fully.

How do we get them to stop biting humans? They don't hurt us yet, although the little grand kids are a some risk of finger damage. I understand that they must bite to form or sharpen their bill edges, but NOT ON MY fingers or another part of the cloths that starts with 'fl..'. Ouch!!
We have red tails and other hawks here. At what size will they no longer be looked upon as prey? The mutt tends to keep other creatures out of the fenced property.... when he is awake. We would like to let them into the summer pen, 1/3 acre, but are worried about hawks. They are currently stinking up the car port rather strongly. I clean out the pen twice a week down to the cement but our bedroom window is about 12 feet from Stinky and company.
How will introducing them to much younger turkeys work out? The 4 turkeys are 2 and 3 weeks younger and about the size of a silver dollar. We don't expect to put them out until June some time but when will they be safe from inquisitive geese (or jealous ones.) I know turkeys grow much bigger than Buffs and I don't want any turf fights later on because of a bad introduction. Can they co exist? Or do I need to split the field?
Thanks, Lauri.

Hello,  new to goosing and such. Was bullied by Dad's gander 40 years ago. We picked up 4 American Buffs 3 weeks ago. About the size of a kids fist then, now a foot ball with neckssssss. We are spoiling them as much as we can, walks around the property, getting to know our very large and mild dog, clover, dandelions and so on. We were told not to let them into water until they are fully fledged since they have no feather oil and will get water logged and sink or sicken. They have lots of feathers, but not 100 % yet. We let them muck about in the dog's water dish on a warm afternoon, then into the pen with the heat lamp. So far lots of funny clumsiness and laughter, no sickness. They eat and **** like hell on wheels.

Can we let them try swimming yet? Heads not yet feathered over and wings not yet grown out fully.

How do we get them to stop biting humans? They don't hurt us yet, although the little grand kids are a some risk of finger damage. I understand that they must bite to form or sharpen their bill edges, but NOT ON MY fingers or another part of the cloths that starts with 'fl..'. Ouch!!
We have red tails and other hawks here. At what size will they no longer be looked upon as prey? The mutt tends to keep other creatures out of the fenced property.... when he is awake. We would like to let them into the summer pen, 1/3 acre, but are worried about hawks. They are currently stinking up the car port rather strongly. I clean out the pen twice a week down to the cement but our bedroom window is about 12 feet from Stinky and company.
How will introducing them to much younger turkeys work out? The 4 turkeys are 2 and 3 weeks younger and about the size of a silver dollar. We don't expect to put them out until June some time but when will they be safe from inquisitive geese (or jealous ones.) I know turkeys grow much bigger than Buffs and I don't want any turf fights later on because of a bad introduction. Can they co exist? Or do I need to split the field?
Thanks,  Lauri.

They can swim now if you watch them. Make sure they go under the light to dry off. How big are they now? The Hawks here don't touch my geese but I have an LGD that skywatches. We do have buzzards that hang out in their pin... Never attacked, I think they're trying to eat the food I put out... LOL. Every time they bite either grab their beaks or pop em in the chest, it won't hurt them. If it gets bad you can push them down with one hand and hold their neck to the ground with the other. It will not hurt them, it's a very effective way to get your point across. I don't know much about turkeys, I keep my duck and my geese together.

Good morning...I know this is an old post, but hopefully you will see it. I was wondering where you were able to get a pair of females? Most places I have found only want to sell pairs or straight runs.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Shannon

Good morning...I know this is an old post, but hopefully you will see it.  I was wondering where you were able to get a pair of females?  Most places I have found only want to sell pairs or straight runs.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Shannon

I think Metzer farms sells trios, so one male two females, you could just sell the male.

1. Geese are really only beginning adulthood at 2 years of age. I have two American Buffs sitting right now, and I will be happy to get any goslings at all out of them because the are shy of 2 years old, but the flock is responding appropriately and the momma's are dedicated sitters.
2. Inexperienced geese can be too dedicated. One of my geese does take her nest breaks. She does one honk and the rest of the flock comes running to do guard duty. The other hasn't gotten off the nest at all. We have pushed her off once or twice but she won't go to water. Fortunately it has been rainy enough that the humidity of the nest may be high enough. Obviously we are feeding and watering her.
3. Regarding geese and turkeys. I have bourbon red turkeys. They are wonderful for ridding your farm of rats. If you raise them for no other reason, do so for this one. As far as the interaction between the two species, a) as babies, the goslings are huge compared to the turkey and will trample and kill them, b) My turkeys were three plus years old when I let my 5 month old American buffs meet them for the first time...9 of each. By the end of the episode, the turkeys were huddled against a fence and the geese were terrorizing them. We've straightened that out a bit, but you have to understand geese and turkeys. Geese are a true flock, and fight as such. They guard geese on the nest as such and goslings also. Turkeys are inter competitive and do not hold a chance against a flock of geese. The Toms are the biggest early threat to the poults. They kill them if they get half a chance.

Geese can be a bit of a handful, but they are amazing creatures. Turkeys also fulfill a great role in a family farm.

1. Geese are really only beginning adulthood at 2 years of age. I have two American Buffs sitting right now, and I will be happy to get any goslings at all out of them because the are shy of 2 years old, but the flock is responding appropriately and the momma's are dedicated sitters.
2. Inexperienced geese can be too dedicated. One of my geese does take her nest breaks. She does one honk and the rest of the flock comes running to do guard duty. The other hasn't gotten off the nest at all. We have pushed her off once or twice but she won't go to water. Fortunately it has been rainy enough that the humidity of the nest may be high enough. Obviously we are feeding and watering her.
3. Regarding geese and turkeys. I have bourbon red turkeys. They are wonderful for ridding your farm of rats. If you raise them for no other reason, do so for this one. As far as the interaction between the two species, a) as babies, the goslings are huge compared to the turkey and will trample and kill them, b) My turkeys were three plus years old when I let my 5 month old American buffs meet them for the first time...9 of each. By the end of the episode, the turkeys were huddled against a fence and the geese were terrorizing them. We've straightened that out a bit, but you have to understand geese and turkeys. Geese are a true flock, and fight as such. They guard geese on the nest as such and goslings also. Turkeys are inter competitive and do not hold a chance against a flock of geese. The Toms are the biggest early threat to the poults. They kill them if they get half a chance.

Geese can be a bit of a handful, but they are amazing creatures. Turkeys also fulfill a great role in a family farm.
Interesting info.

Welcome to BYC and hope you get some goslings.

Back
Top Bottom