Need info on American buff geese

Hi, your article was very helpful as we are new geese owner and have purchased a breeding pair (a bout a year old). I am having trouble finding some very basic information on egg laying and having the geese raise their own young instead of me using an incubator. The female has laid 5 eggs so far and each time by the time I get to the egg it is cold to the touch and she doesn't seem to be broody and setting on the eggs. Could you give me some guidance on egg laying and care in order to have the best results in getting her to raise and care for her own eggs and young. I think this is the first time she has laid eggs. These are the first geese we own and since we don't hatch our chicken eggs making comparisons with behavior regarding egg laying is not an option.

I rescued this goose (gander?) from a local lake where the geese and ducks are starving. We got all the living geese and all but two of the ducks. The domestic ones anyway. They are all being fed as much as they can eat and being treated for pneumonia.

I rescued this goose (gander?) from a local lake where the geese and ducks are starving. We got all the living geese and all but two of the ducks. The domestic ones anyway. They are all being fed as much as they can eat and being treated for pneumonia.
Bless your heart for doing this. will you be keeping them all. How many total did ya'll rescue? I hope they all make full recovery too.

Total we rescued 16 ducks and 7 geese. One of the ducks didn't make it, they were all so thin and sick. Two ducks and two geese died before we could get them. All are in new homes now. I snuck one little buff duck into my coop but hubby put his foot down with the geese. I have really enjoyed them though and will probably end up with some eventually. I'm sure we will have to do this again when everyone's birds outgrow the bathtub and they dump them.

Total we rescued 16 ducks and 7 geese. One of the ducks didn't make it, they were all so thin and sick. Two ducks and two geese died before we could get them. All are in new homes now. I snuck one little buff duck into my coop but hubby put his foot down with the geese. I have really enjoyed them though and will probably end up with some eventually. I'm sure we will have to do this again when everyone's birds outgrow the bathtub and they dump them.

That is so sad but thank goodness you all were able to save the rest and they now have good homes.. Yep that time of year coming around again,. Oh how I hate it. Are you in the US?

Back
Top Bottom