need info on day old hatched chick

maceman88

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2015
Latrobe pa
One of my GLW hens hatched out a single chick this morning well here's my question this is my first time raising chickens and my hens were peeps themselves last April I'm not sure if I should leave the peep with her she seems agitated with it or bring it inside and Rais it tge way I did when I got my chickens last year plus to make it worse I'm in pa and it's 4 degrees outside any help would be appreciated

One of my GLW hens hatched out a single chick this morning well here's my question this is my first time raising chickens and my hens were peeps themselves last April I'm not sure if I should leave the peep with her she seems agitated with it or bring it inside and Rais it tge way I did when I got my chickens last year plus to make it worse I'm in pa and it's 4 degrees outside any help would be appreciated
As long as she is not attacking the chick, it will be fine. It seems to me like broody hens just gain a "mean" look while they're raising chicks. That might be what you're seeing. Here is a picture of my hen (named Goose) looking pretty angry. She was an excellent mother!

The only thing to really worry about is how cold it is. Do you have a thermometer in the coop? The chickens' body heat usually keeps the coop a little warmer than it is outside. The chicks will get right up against mama's warm skin, so as long as it's not too cold for her they will probably be okay. It's always a good idea to check though. Last resort is bringing mama and babies inside, but if they're cold you can put temporary heat lamp in the coop.

..........she seems agitated with it

how does she act that makes you think she's agitated with it? she should stay 'fluffed up' and allow it to go under her for warmth, hens growl and snap at most anything that comes around their baby and you might be taking her protectiveness as agitation with the chick.

Back
Top Bottom