need info on silkies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by L*A*G*, Nov 25, 2008.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Hi, I want to get some silkies soon by ordering them from Murray
    Mcmurray hatchery. I think I want the blue silkies. I also have pined RIRs so I might have to free range them. Do u know how
    they r with that? And when I get them how old r they and
    when r they willing to set? How old r they when they r full grown. And tell me how it went if u ordered chicks B4. Let me know, Larra

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008
  2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I'd free range the RIR before I would ever free range Silkies.
    I guess that's all I have to share...

3. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I only know that they are really good setters (they set more than most breeds do) and they are really good mothers. Silkies are good show birds too. I might get silkies but I am not sure. I hope my advice helps.[​IMG]

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    The age of your chick depends on what you order from Murray McMurray. If it's baby chicks they will be between 1-3 days old when delivered.

I don't allow my silkies to free range only because they think ANYTHING and ANYONE is a friend. I would worry way too much for their safety. Plus if they are babies they will need to be under a heat lamp for a few weeks.

My silkies took the longest to lay eggs. I think they were around 6 months old.

Silkies are definently friendly and sweet. I really enjoy mine. I like to sit back and just watch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by