Need info re: putting lime in peafowl pen

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
I have heard about putting agricultural lime in peafowl pens...but not sure what it accomplishes. Does anyone do this? Why is it helpful? I have also read
that it is caustic and you have to cover it up with some kind of bedding. Confused. Anyone have experience or knowledge in this?

You just sprinkle it on the ground and wash it in with a hose. It is said to kill parasites and their eggs. We use a sieve to sprinkle the dust evenly.
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG

Lime is normally used to cut down on poop smell and good for parasites. The white lime like in the pic above* looks more like hydrated lime and is caustic. Agricultural lime is more bone colored and what you want.

*(I might be wrong and just the color setting on this POS computer)

You just sprinkle it on the ground and wash it in with a hose. It is said to kill parasites and their eggs. We use a sieve to sprinkle the dust evenly. View attachment 2729437View attachment 2729438
You just sprinkle it on the ground and wash it in with a hose. It is said to kill parasites and their eggs. We use a sieve to sprinkle the dust evenly. View attachment 2729437View attachment 2729438
Great. I have agricultural lime. I just cleaned out my pens, sprinkled DE (knowing it is debateable whether it might help...or not...but I have it, so...) and sprayed it with Permethrin. I wanted to be sure it was okay to also sprinkle the lime ... before I cover it with a thin layer of hay. I am planning to put three peachicks along with their chicken surrogate in the pen. The chicks are three days old. I wanted to be sure the pen would be safe for them with the permethrin and the lime. Do you think it is okay for chicks that young to be in a pen treated with lime and permethrin?

Is that a new pen? Your pen has beautiful grass...how can that be? I turned my
beautiful old vegetable garden into a peafowl aviary and now it is all just dirt!

Permethrin is safe to spray directly on chickens as long as you mix it right. One ounce to a gallon of water.
I did not spray directly on the birds...I sprayed the ground inside the outdoor pen. I am wondering how soon I can put the 4 day old peachicks and their surrogate mama chicken hen in the pen. I used 6 oz. per gallon of water (permethrin 10) as a coop spray. I sprayed it this afternoon. Is it okay to move them into the pen tomorrow or do you think I should wait another day or ???? I just want to be safe.

Is that a new pen? Your pen has beautiful grass...how can that be? I turned my
beautiful old vegetable garden into a peafowl aviary and now it is all just dirt!
All but three of our pens have grass growing in them. The trick is to not overload the pen with too many birds. 150 sq ft of space per bird is our rule, I say if you have to mow your pen it is big enough for the number of birds in it.

Back
Top Bottom