Need input on new chicks

AnnaWolf

Songster
Dec 8, 2019
The Netherlands, Flushing
I would love to extand my flock of 2 to a flock of 4, my maximum.
Becouse of the peckingorder I would like to get hatching eggs over pullets.

But in 2020 I found out I have mareks on my property, the flock I had than had to be culled 1 by 1. The 2 Dutch bantams I have now are vaccinated.
I find conflicting info about how long the virus stays on your property and or shedding of the virus.

What would you do?
Hatching eggs are easier to find, but not vaccinated, and I have to deal with mareks again? And they have to put down.
Bantam pullets that are vaccinated are not easy to find, and I have to deal with reintregation.

Any info and or input is welcome!
20211230_121149.jpg

Only suggestion I have is getting chickens that are naturally resistant.
can you get Fayoumi breed where you live?? I read much good about these chickens,, but never owned any yet.

Copy and paste.
What is the most disease resistant chicken?

Image result for chicken breeds resistant to marek's

Research confirms that Fayoumi chickens are less susceptible to many diseases. Examples include Salmonella, coccidiosis, Marek's Disease, Avian Influenza, Rous sarcoma virus, and vND. They are also fertile, thrifty, heat-tolerant, and excellent at foraging and avoiding predators.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Vaccinated chicks, then isolated from your property for two weeks, will do best. In the USA we can get vaccinated bantam chicks from several hatcheries, don't know about your country.
'Selecting for resistance' means many sick/ dying birds, and then maybe some survivors. Not fun for you or those birds! And because there are strains of Marek's virus, it's possible that birds having a different strain at another flock will still do poorly with the strain in your flock.
The virus lives at least a year in dust, dander, and feathers on your property, after all your infected birds are gone.
Have you talked to your veterinary experts at your veterinary college, or veterinary path lab? There should be someone that can give you best advice for your situation.
Mary

Vaccinated chicks, then isolated from your property for two weeks, will do best. In the USA we can get vaccinated bantam chicks from several hatcheries, don't know about your country.
'Selecting for resistance' means many sick/ dying birds, and then maybe some survivors. Not fun for you or those birds! And because there are strains of Marek's virus, it's possible that birds having a different strain at another flock will still do poorly with the strain in your flock.
The virus lives at least a year in dust, dander, and feathers on your property, after all your infected birds are gone.
Have you talked to your veterinary experts at your veterinary college, or veterinary path lab? There should be someone that can give you best advice for your situation.
Mary
Hatcheries don't exist here. It's just farmers and some of them take their hobby to the next level and have more than barnyard mixes and some of those vaccinate.
My vet was so happy for me that I could find vaccinated birds but knows how difficult they are to find. And expensive.
But I think you're right that I should focus on vaccinated birds.
Any advice on intregating? I would use the see and no touch.

I keep new vaccinated chicks totally away from my yard and coop for two weeks, and then move them to a separate section of the coop, with hardware cloth walls, so they have their own heat source, and can start to meet the flock through the wire. After they are feathered and doing well, we start letting them outside, first alone, then with the flock, so there's plenty of space. Gradually they find their way to get along, over weeks/ months.
Mary

I would search for fully feathered pullets, don't have electricity outside. I don't like the dust that they make, so inside is a no for me, our dog sleeps in the shed so it's a no for ther.
How old are fully feathered chicks? 4- 5 weeks?
Are they more seen as intruders at that age?

How old are fully feathered chicks? 4- 5 weeks?
Are they more seen as intruders at that age?
Fully feathered and able to withstand winter temps.. I would opt for 8 weeks. Remember that these 8 week old chicks did not get cold hardy like regular chickens do going gradually into winter. I would suggest getting when the cold temps pass. Another 4 week.. I know your locale does not get extreme colds.

All newcomers are seen as intruders.. Integration is not all that severe of a task. It is an establishment of pecking order.

Fully feathered and able to withstand winter temps.. I would opt for 8 weeks. Remember that these 8 week old chicks did not get cold hardy like regular chickens do going gradually into winter. I would suggest getting when the cold temps pass. Another 4 week.. I know your locale does not get extreme colds.

All newcomers are seen as intruders.. Integration is not all that severe of a task. It is an establishment of pecking order.
Yes I will get them this spring or maybe a bit later. Even if I wanted them now they are not to be found.

Back
Top Bottom